volksworld13

crack pipe an cooling parts on ebay?? any good?

hi people

just wondered if anyone has had any experiance with these cooling parts on ebay, its the whole kit, and when compared with vw , it works out alot cheaper, just wanted to know if anyone has used these parts on their vr, and if they leak like a siv after a few thous miles? i would prefer genuine parts , times are hard.

ebay link

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-VR6-CORRADO-WATER-FLANGE-THERMO-HOUSING-C513-/220505500573?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item335726eb9d

your thoughts appreciated!!

I fitted this very kit about two weeks ago and so far I've had absolutely no problems but time will tell I suppose. Quality looks spot on and the fit was perfect. It's nice to have all the bits in the kit as the fitting on the end of the crack pipe on mine disintegrated while being dismantled. I also replaced the two short rubber hoses going to the oil cooler while I had the front end off. They are also available from the same supplier.

Not had this kit but deal with teirod69 regularly. What I find is the parts he supplies on other items as usually OEM supplier but without the the VW quality stamp on them.

I Found them satisfactory, although i didn't trust the thermostat and fitted genuine.

The job is a pain to do once never mind twice !!

thanks guys, looks hopefull, may get the kit and a genuine stat, its good value for money if the plastics is reasonable quality.

Don't know what the B&B thermostat is like but I've just bought three VW ones last month. Two were like the original that came out with the engine running at 94'C coolant typically and the oil temp running at 102'C - 104'C but if you ran motorway speed at 70/75mph, it rose to 112'C - 114'C and struggled badly to cool off at lower speeds afterwards. The lazy/slow/tired thermostat came to light after doing a VCDS logged drive for VR6Lee's topic.

Finally got one which runs at 90'C + 1'c at any speed/load and oil at 98'C typically rising to 102'C/104'C at motorway speeds of 70/75mph.

The VW thermostat batch which all three came from is dated 02/11.

At twenty odd pound a pop, thats poor. I know they vary, but two no better than the existing one giving me a little problem was not an improvement.

The Corrado is now back to how it was upto two years ago on temperatures. Engine is more relaxed and not hot and bothered as its been recently since being brought out of winter storage this spring.

Another factor thats helped is putting in G11 coolant again. [Available at Halfords as Comma G48. Its BASF's "Glysantin G48" which is VW's G11 in all but name. BASF were/are the suppliers to VW for G11 as the others (G12, G12+ (- Glysantin G30) & G12++ (- Glysantin G40) http://www.glysantin.de/20-1-Know-How.html. Comma market them all under their own labelling but mark clearly the G number.]

Edited by RW1

following on from RW1s comments, i would suggest a proper flush and then an acid descale - the latter is very important as though the water may 'appear' to run clear after two or three flushes, its the scale and rust which will eventually gunge things up. I've replaced all pieces in my cooling system including a new stat from VW. This was following a duff Febi stat which was stuck open due to a poor design. However, even the VW stat on mine has stuck open and the coolant is murky, so i would put this down to the scale in the system. I will be using some spirit vinegar in the system and leaving it overnight to clean the system, followed by a few flushes. If that doesn't do it, nothing will! Make sure you use deionised water too.

Also used the B&B kit and used them for a lot of parts generally. My only complaint is that a couple of the rubber seals were a little suspect, but no complaints at all on the plastics.

Not that bad a job to do to be honest, if the front end comes off okay.

Interestingly I've never had a VW thermostat that runs at 90 degrees - the ones on the MK2 Golfs I fitted always ran at 80, and the Corrado runs at 95.

Interestingly I've never had a VW thermostat that runs at 90 degrees - the ones on the MK2 Golfs I fitted always ran at 80, and the Corrado runs at 95.

They are all marked 80'C including the original 11/94 unit. Don't forget, dash gauge accuracy, so the readings are relative.

Stage 1 fan operates again consistantly at 98'C coolant where previously with the lazy ones, the switched on point of each was anything between 98'C & 110'C. No two days being the same!

Edited by RW1

Also used the B&B kit and used them for a lot of parts generally. My only complaint is that a couple of the rubber seals were a little suspect, but no complaints at all on the plastics.

Not that bad a job to do to be honest, if the front end comes off okay.

All VW stats are designed so the gauge sits bang in the middle - ie 90 degrees...

All MK2's / MK3 Golfs / Polo's I've had do this - if it sits off 90 then this indicates a problem...