DaisyD

Newbie in need of help!

Hi

I picked up my VR6 last weekend and am totally smitten already!!!

But got a couple of questions - I have noticed that it has quite a high idle speed, between 5-10k rpm, is this normal?

Also, I can feel my ABS kicking in when I brake when I would expect it to? I had a Golf GTI before and from what I have read I wasn't expecting my Corrado brakes to be fantastic but was wondering what you experienced Corrado owners think?

Any help gratefully received

DaisyD

I'm guessing regarding idle speed you mean it sits between 500-1000RPM? :)

The VR6 should sit at around 650RPM at idle once warmed up - and a bit higher than that when it's cold. The VR engine is known to feel ever so slightly rough at idle but looking at the needle on the gauge, it should not fluctuate - it should sit pretty steady. If it's bouncing around or higher than what I've said then it's not right.

Regarding braking, again sounds like something isn't right there. I've only ever felt ABS on my Corrado's on icy roads and when literally STANDING on the brakes in wet conditions... so very, very rarely. My feeling is not that it's your ABS kicking in, but rather that you might have warped brake discs causing the same sensation as ABS (feeling the brake pedal fighting back) - might be worth getting it checked out.

Lol - yes, it has been a long day!

That is reassuring because rpm is steady, no bouncing around.

I can feel brake peddle pulsing under foot when braking from high speeds not especially hard braking - will investigate ...

Thank you :-)

As a test, does the speed of the pulsing coming back through the pedal vary depending on what speed you're doing? So if you brake from say 60MPH is it faster than say braking at 15MPH? If the speed of the pulsing is much slower at low speed then I would say warped discs..

Well it definitely gets worse at higher speeds so sounds like you are on to something - thank you

Looking through my service history have found a receipt for pads and discs on Sept 08, done about 10,000 miles since then

They will also judder and pulse if any of the abs sensors have failed . I had a problem with mine , the pedal felt really wrong when breaking .Jim is proberbly right , but worth trying the vagcom to check faults .

Mileage doesn't really mean much to be honest... warping can occur for a number of reasons like manufacturing defect, or washing the wheels when the discs are still very hot from being driven. Keep us posted!