Sign in to follow this  
skid

G60 charger rebuilds (when)?

Whats the general feelings regarding when to get a charger rebuilt(what miles)

Most folk say about 50k.

depends on the pulley size.

i think the recommended is 40k for a standard pulley with less for a smaller one. id expect a 68mm is 25-35k but hopefully pitstop will confirm.

i cant really comment as mine is overdue runnning a 65mm- :oops:

I heard around every 60k was reasonably safe if the car was pretty standard?

from what I here of your car, you dont need to worry......u have ages before you hit 40k miles! :lol: :p

What milage u at just now? anything make u think u need a rebuild?

It was about 38k last time i checked :shock:

Think it must be time to sell it as it seams to be getting on a bit :lol:

The motor is bog standard and plans to stay the way Vw intended but i wish i had another one that i could be playing with and modifying. :oops:

I'd be interested to know, with a bit of a guide off g-man or something.

Seeing the post by GazzaG60 is a little worrying, as I think looking at the history my car's first G-Lader rebuild was by Jabba at around 73,000 miles when it had a load of work done to it at TSR - and as I am running a non standard chip, bigger intercooler, and 68mm pulley, should I already be considering a g-lader rebuild now I am at 96,700 miles?!

I didnt realise that a slightly smaller pulley was that harmful to the charger! :(

didnt realise that a slightly smaller pulley was that harmful to the charger!

Yes, as the standard 80 mm pulley rotates at 1.66 times the crankshaft speed, and taking into consideration that the G-Lader is only menat to run at speeds of up to 12,000 rpm, you can quickly see that the smaller the pulley, the closer you're getting to that 12,000 max. figure.

There's a good calculator here (then click on Tipps/G-Schwindigkeit on the menu) allowing you to enter pulley size (Laderradgrösse) and revs (maximale Drehzahl pro Minute), click on "Berechnen" and it'll tell you the rotational velocity of your Lader.

For example, 68 mm pulley doing 7000 rpm results in the G-Lader rotating at 13,671 rpm, thus exceeding its safe speed of 12,000. You can now see why a smaller pulley has such an effect on the life-span of the Lader, the faster it rotates the quicker it wears, simple laws of physics, really 8) .

Tempest

imho i would want to open a charger up after every 30k this does not mean it will require a complete rebuild but... we find some of the parts do wear quicker than other parts in the g-lader.. tempest is correct smaller pulleys can increase wear but we use components that can easilly withstand very fast speeds and will you will not burn the lips off our seals .. :lol:

Well thats swell. Every f*cking 30k. Thanks for the clarification Darren, but I guess thats the kind of info I didn't really want to hear.

Time to look at putting this car back to standard I think.

Well thats swell. Every f*cking 30k. Thanks for the clarification Darren, but I guess thats the kind of info I didn't really want to hear.

Time to look at putting this car back to standard I think.

That's only for a looksee though... so no major cost implications at that point... It ain't difficult to get the charger off, and Daz's pretty quick with his turn around time, so you shouldl be without you car for less than a week all in... 8)

At the end of the day, what's 1 week in 30,000 miles! I'm throwing 22K a year at my car, so once evey 18 months, I'll send it off to get it checked out... 8)

Well you gotta bear in mind I have NO technical skills at all when it comes to cars.. let alone the proper tools to take something like the G-Lader off.

Some might say that the Corrado isn't exactly the best car for someone who doesn't have a clue when it comes to working under the bonnet...

Some might say that the Corrado isn't exactly the best car for someone who doesn't have a clue when it comes to working under the bonnet...

:D Hehe, You'll learn tho... You'll have to! :lol:

I've always read that Computer Techs should make good mechanics - hence why a lot of IT people seem to own Corrado's, and why so many of them are happy to take em apart.

I'm just.. well... if I screw something up then I have no one else to blame for it!!

Don't panic, Jim. Knowing that we're both in Coventry, we'll just get together one day, and get the G-Lader out :)

I've got tons of German info WITH pictures (I have posted the link to one of the sites here recently) of how to go about getting the Lader out.

Sourcing parts is also not really a problem, a few contacts in Germany :D

Tempest (whose standard Lader is starting to get close to having to get taken out for a check)

PS: Having been to a met of G60 Rado owners in Germany during Xmas, the general consensus seemed to be that if your Lader is still happily playing, DON'T mess around with it, and certainly do not use an axe to open it up :shock: . Seen it all before ... :lol:

I am running a 70mm pulley on my g60 when I serviced it last year (58,000 miles since last service) the bearings were fine only the seals were starting to fail. Replaced the lot anyway just to be safe.

Sandy

Iv seen chargers approaching 100k miles without rebuilts and still produce same boost as stock on stock pulley. Alot of g60s arent properly maintained and are driven harshly although the sturcture of the charger doesnt play a favour either but if keept in good shape it can produce good results. If a charger is rebuilt with the quality parts and sucks in clean air a 70mm pulley should happily see 40k miles, going down as the size of pulley is decreased as explained above.

rgds

Well i've calmed down a bit now.. I just wasn't expecting to have to (potentially) fork out for a rebuild so soon.

I did a bit of working out and the cars done about 24,000 miles since it was rebuilt by Jabba. So I should be safe for another 6,000'ish considering that the car is always run to temperature before using above 3000RPM, and is rarely taken anywhere near the redline when I do let it rip. I'm pretty sure its been treated in a similar way by brookescourt and leew so I can't imagine its near death already.

I'll wait till the weather is warmer before looking at getting the charger out with Eric for a check up!

And sorry for the thread hijack skid! :(

what boost are you geting jim? its a good indication of how good your seals are holding up.

Well I haven't dialled it around to the redline properly yet but about 11PSI so far. Its kinda hard to look at the boost gauge when the car is on full bore!! :)

Car has stage 4 charger, 68mm pulley, 3.5bar FPR, SNS Stage 5 chip, and Golf G60 Intercooler.

I was told I should be seeing about 15-17 PSI for that kind of spec - BUT Henny mentioned as that I still have an ISV, it could be leaking some boost away?

Depends who's done the "stage 4". Some repairers do more work than others - with obvious implications on potential boost output.

I doubt very much that you'll get 17psi from anybody's stage 4 - you NEED an R1 8) with enlarged inlet & outlet chambers.

You can get a 1 way valve to attach to the ISV to stop any boost being wasted, although they're quite expensive (approx £75)

The isv tends to leak boost at higher pressures unless its faulty, you should be seeing 2-4psi more with that pulley, have you checked for boost leaks in the system, faulty gauge? have a look at the fpr conecting hose with the manifold as it tends to crack easily due to heat and loose boost.

To be honest, the car doesn't need any more power as I can't use what I have already... and i'm not too bothered about boost being leaked.. i'd just be happy knowing it was all healthy! :)

I'm off next week so I might take a look around and see if there are any obvious splits or cracks in the piping anywhere. Where abouts does the FPR live, just so I know where to look?

And its a Jabbasport Stage 4 jobbie.