bristolbaron

What gearbox can fit a rado 16v?

My 16v has successfully died.

I need to put a new gearbox in it, and have a few options available..

Golf 2.8 VR6 box

MK2 8v GTI box

Rado G60 box

Will any of these fit straight onto a 2.0 9a?

Cheers then.

Vr box won't volt up

Mk2 8v box will bolt up but will be rod change and needs a the flywheel and clutch

Rado g60 box is a straight bolt on, will feel different to drive due to different ratios

If there ll yours and sat in your garage doing nowt you could make a realy good gearbox for a valver out of them

If the box can't be replaced with one of the above the cars likely to be broken..

It's at the stage where its really not worth keeping, but trying to if poss!

Be sad to break a Rado over a Gearbox, If you realy love the car and wanna improve it I'll do the maths and work out a good combo of the boxes above, but otherwise bang the g60 box on and plod on

It's really not just a case of it being just the box, but it's the first link of a bigger picture.

The car is very tatty, has a rusty chassis, has 220k on the clock, needs the cam belt and cam to cam chain replacing and mot runs out next month.. The sensible thing would be to break, however a friend is looking at salvaging it using the boxes we have between us.

Will talk to him about using just the g60 box first.. What difference will there be in drive?

Alright fella, I've got an early 16v box you can have if you like. Let me know if it's any good. The turret's in good nick.

Cheers,

Jon.

p.s. you're welcome to come and have a nosey at the other parts too if you like :D