welshside

G60 Oil temperature

How long should it take for the oil to warm up to about 80 C in a G60?

On a 45 minute drive through town in traffic then on dual carriageways the oil didn't rise above 70 on the MFA (water temp went to about 90) is this normal, I have read about it taking about 10 mins somewhere I think?

I thought it may have been the thermostat stuck open so replaced that at the weekend but still getting low oil temps. Or could it be that the oil is up to temp and it's the MFA giving a lower reading?

Can anyone give me some advice please.

sounds like the mfa is playing up, without an aftermarket oil cooler, id say defo 10mins or less, unless your driving very careful, but if so it still should be at least 80 degrees

I have a OEM oil cooler and I struggle to keep it BELLOW 90 degrees around town! On a duel carriageway I may see a steady 84-90 but If i'm in traffic i can often push 100 degrees quite quickly. If you hadn't mentioned that you had changed it, I would have said your thermostat was stuck open... You sure you don't have an after market cooler?

I would imagine that the MFA was faulty, it would either give a static number or "--" reading. The fact that it is changing with temp would indicate that it's receiving a signal and that is being read and converted into a reading.

As the G-lader gives a lot of heat, and the engine have jets that spray cooling oil up under the piston crowns, the oil cooler is watercooled (the little lunchbox over the oil filter) and to little cooling effect, and the intercooler is hilariously small, and often have oil redidues inside, the engine oil is bound to be hot, over 100 degrees cel, when driving. This is normal, and only if it goes alot over, like 118 or more, you should begin to think about cooling, another oil etc.

To the original poster: what is the outside temp when reaching such low oil temp? To say what Alex said, it sounds like you have an external oil cooler.

But still there's a long way to say 104 degrees on fresh oil when driving in slow crowded citytrafic for example. On my former Golf, my external oilcooler lowered the oil temp 10 degrees cel.

What intercooler do you have? And is your front grille completely off or modified?

Cheers,

Redfox.

If you don't have an aftermarket oil cooler without a thermostatic sandwich plate, I would say straight away to change the oil temp sendor that sits above the oil filter. There are two senders, one is the oil pressure sender and one is the temp sender, can't remember which one is which but easy to find out as you just take the wires off one at a time and see what happens on the dash clocks. Which ever the temp sender is I would get it changed.

Thanks for all the feedback.

The car is fairly standard setup and has the standard oil cooler. Outside temps were usual British temps for this time of year, about 15 C, and it was dry.

I will replace the oil temp sender and see if I get better readings.

Thanks for all the feedback.

The car is fairly standard setup and has the standard oil cooler. Outside temps were usual British temps for this time of year, about 15 C, and it was dry.

I will replace the oil temp sender and see if I get better readings.

I think that's more likely than the MFA. let us know how you get on

check the wiring to the sensor on the filter housing.its a little t-piece and wiring is exposed and can touch metal.Make sure its not.

My temps were similar to alex's, my oil temps get to 80C in cold weather after 7-8 minutes driving 70-100 kmph(about 40-60 mph)If im stuck in traffic it rises a bit quicker as theres no airflow to cool oil down.

I have checked the wiring and cleaned up the connection and it doesn't look to bad condition, the oil pressure wire is starting to fray a bit in the connector though so will change that.

I unscrewed the temp sender and put it in a cup of boiling water, turned on ignition and didn't get a temp reading at all, should this work for testing it?

I phoned up my local vw dealer to get the part and was told there are different colour coded temp senders. Went to look at mine to get colour of top but it is a gsf one so different colour to vw.

Has anyone got a part number or know what colour it should be for a 91 G60?

If I am right testing your temp sender in a tub of water won't work as it wont be earthed. I am sure someone else can clarify this

im interseted in a way to test the oil temp sender on my valver too as its reading up to 120 on the motorway and this is my first port of call

On page 212-00 in ETKA, there's a oil temp sensor part no. 049-919-563 A, which seems to be the same for all engines (4 cyl.), only the water temp. sensors are different.

This is described as white.

I will go out and have a look at mine.

It sit's horizontal right over the oilfilter, in the oilfilter holder.

Cheers,

Redfox.

I phoned up my local vw dealer to get the part and was told there are different colour coded temp senders. Went to look at mine to get colour of top but it is a gsf one so different colour to vw.

Has anyone got a part number or know what colour it should be for a 91 G60?

hmm ones blue and ones black... can't remember which ones which though :lol:

Hmm, There's two sensors on the oilfilterhousing, and I am too new into Corrado's to rell which one. Rear one is connected to a yellow single wire. The front one is connected to a green/black wire.

Can't see the colour on the sensors.

Anyway, the bathing test is not valid in this cast, as it's not an open/closed sensor at a certain temp, like with a watersensor for example.

So it does not tell anything about the state of the sensor. If it no longer is acurate for example, or if it is slow, internal resistance.

My car is a 1991 G60, chassis no. with "M".

Just my two-pence.

Cheers,

Redfox.

The oil pressure switch should be bigger of the two and it is black with a vertical spade connector. The oil temp sensor is brass and about half the size with a horizontal spade t piece.

The sensor is earthed through the filter housing so one multi-meter probe to the connector and other to the body,stick it on ohms.but as said above the test isnt really valid because sensor may work but just inaccurate.not sure if theyre still available but you can ask or find one at a scrappy

On page 212-00 in ETKA, there's a oil temp sensor part no. 049-919-563 A, which seems to be the same for all engines (4 cyl.), only the water temp. sensors are different.

This is described as white.

I will go out and have a look at mine.

It sit's horizontal right over the oilfilter, in the oilfilter holder.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Thanks for the part number. I have to collect it tomorrow, hopefully it fixes the problem.

I've fitted the new oil temp sender and now I'm getting proper readings I hope. The old sensor was a GSF one that must have been the wrong one or faulty.

Now the MFA displayed about 80C in under ten minutes and up to 116C when stuck in traffic.

Thanks for the help

I've fitted the new oil temp sender and now I'm getting proper readings I hope. The old sensor was a GSF one that must have been the wrong one or faulty.

Now the MFA displayed about 80C in under ten minutes and up to 116C when stuck in traffic.

Thanks for the help

Might just be because it was from GSF. They tend to be crap for non oem electricals

Sure, as thinking the engine is nice and cool, and in reality it's burning hot, is not a nice thing. Parts are getting old (and so are we, the drivers) ;)

Thanks for feedback.

Cheers,

Redfox.