coullstar

8v gearbox ratios

Does anyone know what the gearbox ratios were for the 8v engine? Ive tried the search but it couldnt find anything.

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 AM ----------

Well I didnt try hard enough. Some info below. Looks like its a CGY box with some lovely ratios.

http://the-corrado.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11426&d=1296920353

http://www.gti-vr6.net/wiki/index.php?title=VW_transmissions%27s_ratios

Question then is could the whole lot be dropped in a VR casing?

Yeah they should go in OK. Vince will know for sure as what he doesn't know about VAG gearboxes isn't worth knowing.

4th and 5th are the same as the VR's, near as dammit, but as you say, 1st thru 3rd look fun :D

Yep, and guess what has come up as a breaker near me. Its like its almost meant to happen. I think its acutally a CNL code now but still the same ratios. Very hard to find as I think it was only the UK that got these.

Just ran some gearing charts and the 3rd to 4th shift point is down from 107mph to 88mph. That sounds more like it.

Edited by coullstar

Sounds good. You might also want to consider the 6 speed O2S from the MK5 non-GTI platform. That has definitely been fitted to a VR6 and the guy who did it said the ratios are spot on. The extra cog would make better use of the VR's torque spread. The gearing should be nice and low too as MK5s use quite big wheels and tyres.