MaverickG60

OEM+ Brake upgrade for 1.8 16v

Hi Graham, how you doing mate :0)

There 5x100 which I thought was weird as my G60 is 4x100. Well I say that because the spare wheels that are on the car a 5 stud? The car is a G reg '90, the '89 isn't different is it?

I thought the 5x100 was only applicable to the VR's and every other model was 4x100? Any one clarify?

Still on for next Sat?

Na mate, they're just sat on 5x100 steelies. I only got the car back to Norfolk yesterday from Worcestershire and haven't had a proper chance to give it a real good look over. I thought the same that they were 4x100.

Cheers mate.

Measure your discs, I would have though if you have 5x100 hubs then you should have 280mm discs, maybe even 288mm.

If you wanted to go for even bigger you could go for the TT/S3 312mm calipers and disc, or even Leon Cupra R 4 pot brembos with 323mm discs to suit.

Yeah sounds like you have 5 stud hubs already so should be 280 minimum on the fronts.

Thanks for the responses guys. So assuming they're 5x100 then, what would I need to change to 312mm set up? Calipers, carriers and discs from a TT/S3 any other models? What's the going rate for a set up?

Cheers.

Hey Pete,

aswell as TT/S3 they also fitted 312 to mk4s, late 1.8t, v6 4mo, v5, basically any with more than 170bhp

is the the car your gonna fit with my wheels? the wheels on mine are 4x100

Youy need to check how the 5 stud conversion has been done, if it currently uses Corrado VR6 discs then the 312 upgrade will work but if it's using the early Passat discs with a different offset then you'll need to re-think

Hey Pete,

aswell as TT/S3 they also fitted 312 to mk4s, late 1.8t, v6 4mo, v5, basically any with more than 170bhp

is the the car your gonna fit with my wheels? the wheels on mine are 4x100

Yeah been thinking that. I'll have to confirm the wheel set up on this car as being a valver I thought, from factory, they'd be 4x100. Maybe the previous owner had them changed?

Youy need to check how the 5 stud conversion has been done, if it currently uses Corrado VR6 discs then the 312 upgrade will work but if it's using the early Passat discs with a different offset then you'll need to re-think

How would I confirm the offset? Other than the offset how else would I differentiate the VR & Passat set up? Really strange this???

Cheers.

The Corrado VR uses quite flat discs compared to the G60 which are more 'tophat'...

You can change a 4 stud car to 5 stud without altering the track using the early passat VR discs.

The Corrado VR uses quite flat discs compared to the G60 which are more 'tophat'...

You can change a 4 stud car to 5 stud without altering the track using the early passat VR discs.

Did they do a Passat VR? I thought that engine only came in the Mk3 Golf, Vento, Corrado & Sharan? So assuming they're Passat then, what would be my options?

I'll pop up and have a look at the brake set up to confirm the brake disc size. What is the offset difference between the Corrado VR6 & Passat?

Lets hope they're Corrado ones then!

Cheers mate.