Tooand

Obd1 & obd2 ???

What is it and how do I find out which OBD I have? my Corrado is a 1994 2.9 VR6, engine code is ABV if that helps

All Corrados are OBD1*

Late mk3 Golf VR6's and Passat B4 VR6's were OBD2 and its possible to convert the Corrado to use the OBD2 engine management fairly easily (depending on your mechanical/electrical abilities).

*unless they've been converted by someone already ;)

Cheers lads, I was looking for VAG COM on eBay and wasn't sure which OBD I had. Now I don't know which to buy any recommendations

It's the same thing, 16 pin plug fits all vag cars. I've used it on a lupo, polo, skoda, golf and of course the corrado. It's worked every time. I didn't bother with the mini cd you get with it as it's an older version of vag-com. You can find the free software at the ross-tech website.

I have one of those - works ok for engine ECU, but won't read ABS ECU for some reason. I have a really old serial cable one that I also use, which works a treat, but I have to plug it into a crappy old laptop to use it.

Cheers,

Robbo

The blue cables are very hit and miss due to the "made in china" quality but have you tried slowing the latency down?

Mine didn't work first time and i had to change the latency from 8 to 5 in the device manager/port settings.

It's the same thing, 16 pin plug fits all vag cars. I've used it on a lupo, polo, skoda, golf and of course the corrado. It's worked every time. I didn't bother with the mini cd you get with it as it's an older version of vag-com. You can find the free software at the ross-tech website.

Thanks Elliott, have looked at a few sellers and they all seem to say the same, is it true that that you can remap the ecu to get more power yourself or is it a scam

Sounds great if you could be you can't. You can read fault codes and clear fault codes and on most modern cars (probably not obd1) you can read live information from the engine while running. It's well worth the money if you ask me.

so basicaly all you buy is a usb cable and then download the vagcom software from ross-tech for free?, my friend has vagcom and programmed my old golf keys or me, but its a pita every time i wanna scan faults on my corrado..

For £7-£8 you can't go wrong IMO. The real cable and software would be around £250+ and thats a bit steep if you just want to run fault codes. Getting the cable to work with the 9a ecu is a bit fiddly but can be done, the vr6 was no problem.

is it true that that you can remap the ecu to get more power yourself or is it a scam

yes you can but you need more than VAG-com, check our the DIY vr6 remap thread in the engine bay section.