Critical_Mass

How to change Tie Rod arms???

Hi all,

Car handles like a boat, tramlines all over the place.... hard to keep on a straight line on anything even slightly uneven surface.

Found that there's loooads of play in the outer tie rod ends, So... instead of just changing the outer tie rod end, im going to also change the inside and jsut go the whole hog and replace the arm too.

How easy is this? Is it as simple as undoing the nut on either end and splitting the ball joint with a splitter. THen fit new tie rod and replacing the nut? Does the nut holding the ball joint to the hub and also the inner one both need replacing either side. Or are they able to be reused?

Can anyone provide me a step by step guide.. or point me in the direction of one?

Also best place to get the parts?

Cheers all

Gaz

Edited by Critical_Mass

Hey fella,

I've rebuilt a pas rack before in the Plum thread, not sure if I gave lots of info though.

Basically yeah you split the outer with a splitter form the hub. Then remove the rubber bellows, and you should see a hex section cut into the inner end of the bar. This is how you do/undo the bar from the rack. From memory it's something large like 38mm. I remember you could get a spanner off the shelf in Halfords that was the right size, but it's for some other job entirely :D still, it works. IIRC you should use threadlock when you tighten the inner end of the bar into the rack (it's just a female threaded section inside the rack itself so no inner nut to worry about :-)

hope this helps, may be more details on the Plum thread. Might be worth searching through it. Probs be back in 2008/9 time.

no probs. IIRC the spanner is made by LASER. I had a flick through my thread looking for you (around the page 30 mark) but ended up getting all sentimental so I stopped :(

I changed wishbones and bushes at the same time. Easier to get at with the wish bones out the way. Bought complete steering arms too.

32mm fan spanner is indeed a laser item, it's double ended.

Veedubmachine sorted me out with a good price on parts.

Ok another question. Is there any real need to change the arms as they're just metal rods?

Only if there is any play on them. If no play and still have some grease on the joint then its all good. Usually the rod ends go, the rod itself lasts

Depends how nackered the thread is really, if its going to be adjusted it's alot easier with a new one, but as said not essential.

Well checked with my mechanic and theres loads of play in the ball joint. The actual track rods look reasonably ok.

Will prob just replace the tie rod ends.

if you can move the track rod ends or any component on the suspension with ease chances are its worn.

Corrados are very fussy with suspension geometery,ive given up trying to get it perfect even after replacing every single bush and full alignment. Doesnt tramline really but has a bit of play somewhere in the steering that i cant find!

Yeah i held the track rod whilst my mechanic wobbled the wheel and there's was sh!t amount of play in it.

I'd love to know what they felt like to drive from new.