seanl82

Another warm start issue thread.

Hi Gents, been on here a few months without a C, but finally decided to take the plunge and get looking at a few. I've decided a 1.8 kr is the way ahead for me, and I'm really tempted by one not too far away. I've only spoken to the seller on the phone, and he has told me of a warm start issue. I did a search but couldnt find any that were too similar, and there were lots of suggestions. I don't know much about the kr (only really been into vag/car mechanics for a year), but I know my way around a 2.0 8v AGG from a golf 3 ok. :o so please go easy!

Anyway, the guy said on warm start, it fires on 1 cylinder, then 2, then 3, then 4. He has changed the usual coil, leads, rotor arm and dizzy, plugs, battery and has changed the metering head and ignition switch as well. He said the fuel pump sounds a bit noisy so its probably that, but after reading through other threads, it could be anything from injectors, to HG. The car is great by the sound of it, and seller seems very genuine and a big VW addict! so I am tempted but dont want to be stung. Has anyone had this problem, or can advise a probable cause. I do have a spare set of injectors from an AGG but not sure if they would fit? and dont really wanna spend hundreds trying to sort it out straight after buying.

Thanks fellas, Sean.

It does sound like the pressure pump(one under the car)is on its last legs but it could be the fuel filter hasnt been changed.HG arent as common as people think on 16v engines. HG are usually down to poor mainantance(topping up the coolant with a'bit of old water til its diluted that much theres no coolant left in the system so corrosion sets in) and beening too harsh on the engine when cold(revving too much). HG usually brings on overheating and coolant/oil cumsumption

get him to take you for a drive doing 70mph to see if hg is playing up

be wary all i can say,

Cheers mate. Gonna go and have a look next week, just waiting on mine to go (next w.end fingers crossed) and see where I stand. Car is currently SORN'd so cant really take it for a drive to get up to temp. I would have thought a dodgy/old fuel filter would have caused issues from cold start too though. The pressure pump your talking about (under the car), is that the inline pump? Dont think they are too expensive so may be worth a punt. Gonna go over it with a fine tooth comb anyway. Thanks again.

Inline pump can be expensive second hand. Mines noisy on my kr and I've gotta change it soon, made a noticeable difference too how the car runs. Cost me 60quid for a secondhand pump and 10 for a filter. Mustard to change, get so rusty!

Ahh yeah, Tis the in tank pump i was thinking of that's not too dear. Guessing at the fuel Accumulator being the problem and I think that's part of the inline pump - yes???