quicky1980

R32 - not adaptive?

Just got back from Stealth and Vince mentioned something about my conversion not being right as its not adaptive/adaption or something similar wording to that. ie it's not learning the driving style, fuel etc

Have I wired it up wrong then? Or is this problem found in the ECM? I bought the loom as a plug and play and the ecm should have been modded to match as they were both done at SWICT

Could someone attempt to clear up what this fault could be and I'll try and talk to SWICT about it too this week.

Kinda now makes sense why my car loves a drink or two.

how sensitive are R32s to sensor faults? if there similar to 1.8t ecus theyre a pain as they run base-line tables all the time if they dectect a fault or out-of-range measurement. You using oem mangement or aftermarket?

oem. i know that one (of many) faults is that the rear lambdas arent reading, but they should have been deleted off the ecm, obviousely not. so maybe this could be the cause?

does your model have four or two? Yeap running without sensors,especially lamba will put the car into limp and run base-line tables which always run rich.you wont get adpative mode because its in limp mode(supposed to get you home or to the garage)

To get adpative mode, clear your faults and sort sensor problems then it will work.And dont do what i did with my 20vt.Put a switched live on a feed thats supposed to be perm live and wonder why the Thorttle body done an adpation every time i turned the damn thing on!!

well thats my worry, not sure if the car is repeatedly adapting but then again vince said its not so should be ok??

well if im on limp mode...feck me I cant wait to get it sorted as its pretty rapid as it is.

most vags can run pretty good with baseline tables,just depends on what sensors are not reading when they should be. i know that you can write sensors out of the software or you can turn them off.which one youve have done,dont know-prob cheaper to to turn off sensor than reprogram

oem. i know that one (of many) faults is that the rear lambdas arent reading, but they should have been deleted off the ecm, obviousely not. so maybe this could be the cause?

There are some things that can't be fully 'removed' and will always fault code, but they can be 'disabled' so that the software is no longer concerned about them, if that makes sense.

The rear lambdas if not working and not disabled will force a 4000rpm limit like an anvil, so SWICT may have only done half a job there.

This is precisely why I was so reluctant to go OE management, but rather handily I already a standalone installed :D

OEM means you always need 'someone' to hack around in there for you. With a SEM, you simply don't even bother with X, Y or Z in the first place and you can do all of the software tuning yourself. This is why my 32 has no flat spots, no issues and no moaning minnie fault codes. The R32 software also runs lambda 1 everywhere except 90+% throttle upwards of 4000rpm (so that the cat works). This is one of the reasons why it likes a drink. The R32 can run a LOT leaner than lambda 1.

If you ever get it dyno mapped, you can ask to have the lambda request table to adjusted to be a lot leaner at part throttle. The standard ECU has EGT backup anyway, so there's no danger of frying anything.

As you say though, it does make me wonder how many transplanted 32s are actually running at full potential cause they're still bloody quick half c0cked!!

Edited by Kevin Bacon