Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

I rang up for an insurance quote today for my 20vT syncro...

What a joke!

These are my basic details:

22 years old

2 YNCB

No crashes or claims

3 points (SP30)

Live in prob the cheapest place in the country (middle of Norfolk)

Declared all mods (see http://www.dubland.co.uk for the mods in detail)

Value of 12k

12,000 miles to drive a year

Anyway rang up a couple of companies last year or so to get a rough indication as to what it might cost to insure a 20v syncro with all the mods. I was quoted in the region of £1100 to £1300 fully comp, which I was happy with under the circumstances.

Meanwhile I decided to undertake the crazy mods...

So I rang up Adrian Flux and HIC today as I'm getting near to insuring it, they quoted me £2300 and £2500 respectively for fully comp..! I was about to throw the phone across the room, but then realised I needed to save as much money as possible. I've spent all this time and money and its not as though I didn't check the insurance before hand. The HIC guy said that it is a bad time at the moment, but Jesus it can't be £1200 different from my other quote a year previously.

So come on guys please lend a hand and give me some ideas as to how to get a proper quote! :cry: :roll: :cry:

It might not be able to make an appearance at Gti International this year if I can't sort something out... :cry:

Adrian Flux and HIC can be a little random with quotes.

I'm £990 with my modded VR6 with AF, yet for a R32 they wanted £2300 - thats an unmodded car! lol

If you can withstand the shame, buy Max Power and get calling the companies in the back of there. I'm sure you'll find lots who will beat the price down. Then start playing them off one another (you can only do it once per company though, so have a good list!)

P.S. Think your dubland.co.uk has been hacked.

P.S. Think your dubland.co.uk has been hacked.

yeah I know, losers! Getting it sorted at the moment, but the providers server was hit bad and I can't upload new pages at the moment.

cheers for you advice btw concerning the bloody insurance.

Ouch.... TPFT?

For the money he's gonna save, is it really worth risking £12k of car if he stacks it?

If you did £12K of damage to a corrado you'd be dead anyway.....

Would you let the insurance company take you car away to a bodyshop of THEIR choice? I f*cking wouldn't that's for sure. I'd repair it myself, I wouldn't let anyone get their hands on it, no matter how badly damaged it is.

There'lll always be something salvageable off the car, you can't break EVERYTHING at once.

The way I look at it, if I crash it, it's my own stupid fault and I'll have to pay for it. I do everything possible to make sure it can't be stolen (best alarm I can get plus a tracker), and I know all my papers are up to date and legel.

Insurance is a waste of money, I only have it because you legally have to. I've claimed once, in my entire driving career, for a £900 lamp post, and I must have paid for it 4 times over in inflated premiums ever since. I'd never claim again unless my life depended on it.

if anyone crashes into me and has no insurance I'll simply kill them on the spot.

Try Greenlight gave me a very good quote fully comp for ma C with mods declared.

Sandy

f anyone crashes into me and has no insurance I'll simply kill them on the spot

LOL I suppose that would reduce the traffic on the roads a bit :lol:

I havent tried insuring mine as of yet but I think I will be going TPFT with a 5000 mile limit. Hopefully It should keep it reasonable.

Would you let the insurance company take you car away to a bodyshop of THEIR choice

Actually its not their choice. They have recomended garages but you are well within your rights to take your car for estimates elsewhere!!

I'd repair it myself, I wouldn't let anyone get their hands on it, no matter how badly damaged it is.

hmm, interesting, personally i wouldnt know where to start with pannel beating, painting, pulling chassis's straight, welding panels etc

Also....do you know the cost of body parts for the corrado, bumpers, doors, wings, etc.... you start having to replace a couple of those out of your own pocket and you'd know about it!

Brentacre were the best for me.

Yeah they're very good and I can vouch for their service when it comes to claims.

K

I insure my 20vt with greenlight all mods declared f/c 670 i know i am alot older than you but it may be worth a try :) or our Leon 20vt is done through Brentacre declared the 18's for 550 f/c.

Thanks all, looks like I might have to go TPFT although I don't feel happy about it after spending all that time and money.. Also might have to put it on a limited milage and then buy 2 clocks and keep swapping...

Would you let the insurance company take you car away to a bodyshop of THEIR choice? I f*cking wouldn't that's for sure. I'd repair it myself, I wouldn't let anyone get their hands on it, no matter how badly damaged it is.

There'lll always be something salvageable off the car, you can't break EVERYTHING at once.

The way I look at it, if I crash it, it's my own stupid fault and I'll have to pay for it. I do everything possible to make sure it can't be stolen (best alarm I can get plus a tracker), and I know all my papers are up to date and legel.

Insurance is a waste of money, I only have it because you legally have to. I've claimed once, in my entire driving career, for a £900 lamp post, and I must have paid for it 4 times over in inflated premiums ever since. I'd never claim again unless my life depended on it.

if anyone crashes into me and has no insurance I'll simply kill them on the spot.

LOL hahaha love the last bit, but you have a point about tpft. I have never been insured on any of my cars up to this point for fully comp cover, but I feel with all the time, effort and money gone into the project it would be a sad day if I stacked it without fully comp insurance..

cheers Ben

Try Chriss Nott Insurance,

I pay about £740 on my VR fully comp, thats with me and the wife on the policy.

i was also getting quotes between £1200 and £2000 from other companies . :?

I'm with Brentacre as they did provide the best quote.. though check that excess out.. mine is £500 chuffin quid.

I was told by several insurers that if your car is valued over £5k then you have to take out fully comp cover - is this true?

Yeah, thats what i thought, plus when you get over the age of 21 it only cost £50 to £100 more for fully comp on most cars... and I think you get more benifits like windscreen cover etc

thats some heavily weighted insurance premiums

the thing is with the modd'ed cars are they really going to reshell a corrado if it requires one ?

even if they can get one

they will probably write it off.

our 16 valver costs £260 per anum via norwich union

chubbz

I'm with Brentacre as they did provide the best quote.. though check that excess out.. mine is £500 chuffin quid.

Yeah mine will be £650 but I'm not bothered as it brought the quote down alot!

As far as I know you can't insure your car for TPFT with a value over £5k.

I was told by several insurers that if your car is valued over £5k then you have to take out fully comp cover - is this true? :?

It's not a universal thing, but many insurers do have this 'policy.' Mainly as a means of screwing more money out of you.

Of course telling your insuruer your car is valued at over 5k does not mean by any stretch of the imagination that's what they would give you if it was written off. Unless you have an agreed value policy, which not many insurers offer.

thats some heavily weighted insurance premiums

the thing is with the modd'ed cars are they really going to reshell a corrado if it requires one ?

even if they can get one

they will probably write it off.

our 16 valver costs £260 per anum via norwich union

chubbz

At the end of last year I bought my first C. A 1.8 16v and the cheapest quote I got was for £564. Just last week I bought a C vr6, changed my insurance to Elephant and named my girlfriend as another driver. My insurance has dropped from £564 to £316. Apparently if you name another driver it makes all the difference.

lol, everytime i've tried naming another driver, it keeps bumpin my premium up.

My GF tried to put me on her poilcy for a 1L polo, and it about doubled it!!!!

her first car. i have 4 year NCB and drive a 200bhp Corrado, yet im the most likely one to crash a 1L polo?

Give me a break..... :roll:

Thanks all, looks like I might have to go TPFT although I don't feel happy about it after spending all that time and money.. Also might have to put it on a limited milage and then buy 2 clocks and keep swapping...

LOL hahaha love the last bit, but you have a point about tpft. I have never been insured on any of my cars up to this point for fully comp cover, but I feel with all the time, effort and money gone into the project it would be a sad day if I stacked it without fully comp insurance..

cheers Ben

If you go F/C make sure you remember to get agreed value... I'm assuming its been a project as I don't know of any other 12k corrado's and if you aint got agreed value they'll try and give you market value of std vehicle if u bash it... In my experience.

Matt