bristolbaron

Cheap car for V5 conversion - big job?

http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/toledo-23-nice-spec-salvage-cat-c/92789165

Just saw this on local Gumtree.. Looks like a real cheap donor for engine and interior conversion!

Any ideas how big a job it is to do? I'm guessing it's as hard as a 24v but without as much power benefit..

Would be interesting once done though!

i'd love to do a vr5 conversion - with a turbo that is :)

there's talk of a guy doing it over here, really hope it happens, no idea hard it would be though but keen to know.

doug (tribetype40??) did a v5 conversion on a corrado many many years ago.

yeah seem to remember that from a rolling road day - aston interior?

not something i could justify doing at the moment, but would love to see the results..

Very thirsty engine though. A friend of a friend used to say his porka was better on fuel thanks his mrs mk4 golf v5.

Worth thinking about given prices are only going one way.

But it will be better on fuel than a VR6.

However, 170bhp or 180bhp with a decat if you are lucky and not much lighter. You would be better off converting to OBD2 to be honest.

Big job but very nice interior... just wondering how much bigger it is compared with the MK1 Toledo as this shared a few interior parts with the Corrado like the the ashtray and had a very similar dash.

Would be a big job but perfect car if you want to do a 'Renshaw' and literally chuck everything in, the front seats might have even gone in but they won't tilt.

I'd say with some headwork, new exhaust, map etc you should tap 200bhp...

Not worth it if you have the extra cash compared to a 4mo swap or better still 32...

Oh and they're thirsty as hell, on a drive from london to reading and back with me in my merc (4.3 v8 ) and my mate in his golf v5, sitting at the same speeds the whole way we both used very similar amounts of fuel.

The mk1 and mk2 Toledo were very similar in size, I'd prob say the same to be honest, I've had both.

Much better boot on the mk1 being a hatchback though. Some good spec on the mk2's though.

Vr will be better on fuel than the v5. Mine was for sure.