TimDoc

Breaking cars

When you start cutting the shell up, how do you do the official scrapping of the car at the end?? How do you make sure the DVLA are happy.

Tim

Hi,when i took what was left of the red shell (there wasn't much left !!) to the scrap yard,they weighed in the shell & got me to sign the part of the owners doc saying that it had been scrapped. the doc's were sent off & i recieved a letter from the dvla to confirm it had been scrapped & i was no longer the owner,job done.

Hope this helps Rod

filled an export part on the V5, job done

Just wondering if it will be enough to take a v5 and shell part number to scrap yard ??

Just worried if all i am left with is the shell serial number and the V5 they might accuse me of cutting it off the shell and selling that on. Think they might need to see the rest of the car?? Thing is its about to get cut up into pieces and sold like that so not sure whether i need to get them to see the rest of the car before i chop it up. Which scrappy did you use Rod? Might have to be picky with the yard and maybe contact them beforehand.

Thanks for the input chaps.

Tim

You used to be able to tick scrapped on the logbook yourself and send it off to the dvla, then dispose of the shell however you wanted. on the new style logbooks there is no scrapped option, the only way of telling the dvla that you no longer have the car (ie stripped for parts) is to take the car and your logbook to an ATF (authorised treatment facility) where they will notify the dvla for you.

Tim, I used Harry Bucklands, located on the out skirts of cheltenham, i trailered what was left of the shell there & they removed it for me,i even got paid for the scrap weight of the shell ,result.

Rod