24V Renshaw

Anyone ever used a home media blaster?

I have a small patch of surface rust in the scuttle tray on the Rado and I want to clean it up.

My neighbour (a 4x4 nut) has a media blaster and compressor which uses glass, I think, and is happy to let me use it. Its intended for small areas and I think it would be ideal.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with these? Will it remove all the rust how I would like it to?

I am pretty sure it will work and the best bit is I can't get a grinder or anything else in there so its perfect for the job.

Jay

It'll blow all the rust out alright. I'd be more concerned about your health though. Glass/sand blasting is seriously hazardous if you don't use the right PPE. So much so that most blasting places use more "health friendly" media these days.

Would a gentle rub with sand paper and a dab of jenolite not suffice ?

PS: Blasting is a notoriously messy business. Excessive dust in every nook/cranny/opening is pretty much a given.

Hope I haven't put you off too much. I just wanted you to be aware of what I found out when I was "In the market" for this proceedure.

Let me know how it all works out either way.

James

Don't worry I have some decent masks etc.. Its a tiny area so will not require huge quantities of media etc... The "gun" is more like an airbrush and should be pretty controlled.

I want to do as thorough a job as I can and if I have the opportunity to remove "all" the rust I would rather do that than treat it and hope it lasts.

Jay

i've bought the stuff to setup a blasting cabinet, but never got round to finished it off.

Only tried the gun on a landrover and the sand went everywhere.

Could you try something like Deox Gel instead? You might need to slap some on, then keep adding a bit each day and leave it a few days.

http://www.bilthamber.com/pro-introduction.php?cname=Corrosion%20Removal&name=deox-Gel