Yicker

Newbie thinking of getting a corrado :cool:

Hi all,im new to the forum and currently thinking of swapping my golf 1.8t for a corrado. The car is on a H plate and was originally a 1.8 16v but now has a 20vt dropped in :p

Is there anything i should look for when looking at these cars? I have always fancied owning 1 but never have so dont really know what to look for. Any help would be appreciated :grin:

Welcome to the CF :wave:

Buyer's guide is somewhere around here - look for the Wiki or do a search. Other than that I'm sure you'll get some pointers!

Plenty these days just through age.

As its an early motor then it should be slighlty better protected in terms of rust prevention but still have a good look at the bottom of the rear arches, fuel filler cap area, front wings, front wing indicator holes, base of the windscreen, underneath, engine bay bulkhead and under both the battery and airbox for signs of rust.

The 1.8T conversion will alos need some serious inspection as to how it was done, what engine managment it runs etc.

The car should feel tight and responsive when driving, any sloopyness in the steering will come down to worn bushes and possible a worn steering column universal joint - wider tyres and excessive lowering will cause the suspension and steering systems to wear out much faster.

Sunroof both tilts and slides, spoiler should deploy at around 47mph and go back down around 5 mph - it should also work on the override button on the lower dash area under the light switch.

Beware that some parts are hard to get hold of now so worn seat bolsters, cracked fogs and indicators should all be bargining points as you can't source new replacements.