VW_OwneR_85

need to freshen up rear lights!

Right folks, need to freshen up my rear lights, to many choices! all red? slightly smoked but with clearcoat for gloss?

or just clean them up and clearcoat them for a fresh glossy look?

my cars black so im thinking all red slightly smoked with a clearcoat would look good but how does the indicators look/work with all red? any pics of what you guys have would be appreciated ,

thanks..

Really the only ones that work properly are as they left the factory. If you tint them, they're too dark quite often, and if you do them all red, it makes your indicators flash red. This is in my experience of having tried both all red, tinted and normal over the years!

Red tails on a black C looks the nuts! 8) I would pinstripe the indicator part and the reverse part though. Otherwise, you'll have to paint the indicator bulbs green (not ideal) of fit bright orange LEDs with resitors. You can get the pinstripe tape from Halfords. A couple of coats of lacquer is worth doing too ;)

Here's my last VR with red tails http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?25098-Cazza-s-Storm-New-Paint!-Yipeeeeee!/page77&highlight=cazza%27s+cars

There are also some pics earlier on of my black 16v with the red tails and later pics of my current Storm with the red pinstriped tails :)

another vote for all red as above, definitely a good look against black, i've pinstriped mine also and it works well and saves messing with green bulbs or LED's.

i do like the all reds, but the amount of times i have been rear ended (yeh whatever heard it all on this forum YAWN) personally would not do it again. yeh you can pinstripe the reversing lights, yeh you can put better indicator bulbs in, but they will never be as good as the standard lights.

but hey its your call, and your car

All red rears look far better than standard! Brought mine from Leon263 on here and they are absolutely superb quality!! Factory finish, worth every penny!

Dont worry about indicators, LEDs shine amber brighter than stanard lights and pass the MOT every year. Stay away from green bulbs!!

...... the amount of times i have been rear ended (yeh whatever heard it all on this forum YAWN) .......

Boooooohhhh!!

Flange.

That is all.

cazza they look sick!! how does the pin stripping look? surely it would look a little out of place? im assumeing you only pin stripe to mask so abit of amber light shows through ?

draggon green, iv used lamin-x on my fog lights {when i had them} turned out prety good! think im gona use it on my head lights as apparently they dont effect the brightness in the slightest,, yours looks good though! so think i might go with just a light smoke spray and then clearcoat them for a glossy finish, saves any hassels i may get with indicators, i have a spare set of lights and i also have a damaged one , so im gona experiment with that.

LOL @ the rear ended comment, couldnt help but giggle :)

A question for all of you wiser guys then: Did any Corrado ever come with other than standard coloured rear lights? (say a Storm or something else)?

And if not, then why not? as the Golf's came in various versions ab factory??

Sorry to be ot, but these red rear lights (with a white reverse square), looks really good in my view.

Cheers,

Redfox.

All red rears look far better than standard! Brought mine from Leon263 on here and they are absolutely superb quality!! Factory finish, worth every penny!

Dont worry about indicators, LEDs shine amber brighter than stanard lights and pass the MOT every year. Stay away from green bulbs!!

trust me they dont in certain light,

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

A question for all of you wiser guys then: Did any Corrado ever come with other than standard coloured rear lights? (say a Storm or something else)?

And if not, then why not? as the Golf's came in various versions ab factory??

Sorry to be ot, but these red rear lights (with a white reverse square), looks really good in my view.

Cheers,

Redfox.

no they all come in just one factory style

You know, I bought a can of the recommended stuff for spraying them red (I haven't done it yet) but actually I think I prefer standard. Normally I hate orange, on my daily I had orange bulbs in a clear case which I swapped for silver bulbs, but on the Corrado I'm starting to think that the standard setup is the best. Any attempt to 'modernise' it, ruins it a bit in my opinion and I'm not even an OEM kinda guy!

cazza they look sick!! how does the pin stripping look? surely it would look a little out of place? im assumeing you only pin stripe to mask so abit of amber light shows through ?

Here's a pic for you of the pinstriped lights- it's only the indicator and reverse sections that are pinstriped, so it's quite subtle http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?25098-Cazza-s-Storm-New-Paint!-Yipeeeeee!/page96&highlight=cazza%27s+cars post #960

trust me they dont in certain light,

If you get a decent set of LEDs and a professional paint job on the rear lights they shine amber brighter than a standard bulb in a standard cluster . . . . I’ve tested enough sets!

Of course, if you buy a cheap set of LEDs and a set of rear lights sprayed by average Joe with a rattle can, I would expect the results to be dire! ;)

trust me they dont in certain light

Would love to except I have had all reds for a while now and they are brighter than standards

IMG_0857.jpg

Agreed- don't have any probs with mine. With decent LEDs they are great too. Only time mine weren't great was when I used green bulbs with all reds (no pinstripes)- you could barely see them when it was sunny!

when your talking about led lights i presume your on about led bulbs like this ? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1156-382-G18-Car-Tail-Brake-Turn-Signal-WHITE-9-LED-Light-Bulb-BA15S-P21W-DC-12V-/120809373306?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c20ccbe7a they make a big difference? cheers for the pic cazza i cant exactly see the pin stripe lol, ill just experiment iv got decent

2k clearcoat and ill be able to buff it aswell so in theory it should trun out prety good,just need do get some red spray tint...

just came across this {not literaly eww err!} although i think he needs to darken them, looks a tad bright on his mk4

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/p/406932/2942666.aspx

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

no they all come in just one factory style

We saw these on the cabrio Corrado at the VW museum in Germany. Holy grail - factory tinted! Shame they never actually got made :(

We saw these on the cabrio Corrado at the VW museum in Germany. Holy grail - factory tinted! Shame they never actually got made :(

Awesome!!

Its bad enough they never made them, but they go one further and tease you with what they would have looked like!!

They do indeed look sick! How do we get them made? lol

Why doesn't it have a badge? Someone pinched it?

The cars in the museum were in a less than impressive state.. the VR6 Storm had mud in the arches and bodywork damage :|

The cars in the museum were in a less than impressive state.. the VR6 Storm had mud in the arches and bodywork damage :|

damn you would of thought they would of been cleaned atleast! not to mention would of used near perfect examples to house in a museum.

Ah! So nicer lights did come around. Really a shame that Karmann and VW did not put them into production via Hella or someone else. A bit funny since they came out for both Mk. II and III Golfs and Jetta.

Hmm, a painted numberplate holder as well...

Would like a set though as I find the standard a tad boring and not so sporty. Leds plus tint sounds like worth a try. Don't want something flashy or japscrap like, just a bit nicer. I my humble view all the clear lights with crome inserts and I don't know what looks horrible, and makes the car look like a plastic toy kit from china (china not meant nicely). ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Edited by Redfox