destructiv dave

Changes to MOT rules in 2012

Apologies if this is a repost - just read this on the ClubGTI forum (thanks Alexf) and thought it was of interest. All the requirements make sense, but can imagine that some people will experience significant challenges in passing the MOT in future. Although as usual it comes down to the tester!!

http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/01/04/ch...are-you-ready/

In summary:

Warning lights

As well as electronic parking brake and electronic stability control warning lights (where fitted) the MOT test will also include checks for the correct function of the following, where fitted;

The new test includes a check on the presence and correct function of the steering lock where fitted as standard.

Power steering fluid level must be above the minimum level indicated on the reservoir.

Lighting

Products on the lens or light source that obviously reduce the light's intensity or change its colour will become a reason for failure – applies to front/rear position lamps, registration plate lamps, stop lamps, rear fog and direction indicators,

Headlight requirements are updated to take account of the particular characteristics of High Intensity Discharge (HID) lamps.

HID headlights - a car will fail if a mandatory headlamp cleaning or levelling system is missing, doesn't work or is obviously defective. Vehicles fitted with aftermarket HID systems must also be fitted with properly working washer and levelling systems.

Electrical wiring and battery

Visible wiring that is insecure, inadequately supported or likely to cause a short will also result in a failure as will wires bared by damaged insulation.

Seats

It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.

Doors

A rear door that cannot be opened from the outside using the relevant control is a new reason for failure.

Doors must be easy to open and close – hinges, catches and pillars will be inspected.

Exhaust

A catalytic convertor fitted as original equipment but missing will be a reason for failure.

Not to bad unless you have a warning light on or fitted HIDs

No metion of the tuning boxes that I heard are no longer allowed

I better get a new steering lock before the summer then :(

It was actually handy rolling the car about on the drive without the keys in it with no steering lock :lol:

It was actually handy rolling the car about on the drive without the keys in it with no steering lock :lol:

I dont understand why this is now a fail, surely its a security device not a safety, in which case they should also be checking immobilisers, alarms and that the doors all lock.

Umpteem percent of it is already covered, though it may hit the tinted light people and the no CAT but passes the test crowd. Dependant on the tester of course.

Hmmm, wonder if my side repeater indicators will fail. They are dark grey and probably not as bright when flashing.

Hmmm, wonder if my side repeater indicators will fail. They are dark grey and probably not as bright when flashing.

so many different tint indicators and repeaters used on cars from the factory I doubt any tester will worry, unless your indicators flash red, but then that's always been a fail really.

I dont understand why this is now a fail, surely its a security device not a safety, in which case they should also be checking immobilisers, alarms and that the doors all lock.

I think it's the case of if it's not working and potentially faulty then it could lock the steering while you're driving.

Indicators - my mums Golf failed a couple of years ago as the side repeaters were not orange - just the bulbs had lost there coating with age