RPoul

200k+ corrado?!

I've seen alot of threads talking about 100k+ mileage but not much on 200k+. Looking at one that has done 220k, had a full engine rebuild, been resprayed and wheels refurbd (looks pretty tight from the photos), interior shows no wear, but only a partially complete service history and no problems with electrics. I enjoy getting the manual out and doing what I can and putting the money into a thing of beauty but I'm a bit worried this one maybe a bit far down the line although it looks the part.

Just wondering if any of you guys with a bit more experience could give a bit of advice, would very much appreciate it.

Regards

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 AM ----------

sorry its a VR6 too

At the end of the day, if the engine is sweet and the bodywork is rot free then I say go for it. Mileage does not need to be a barrier if the car has been looked after!

when was teh engine rebuild done and what exactly was carried out? That will give you your reference point from which to go. Many have mentioned before low milers which were an absolute disaster and high milers which have been very well maintained. Zak has one which shows about 196k on the clock. BUT, he's put a sub 100k engine in it, replaced pretty much all the bushes and bearings, steering rack etc and it really is a tight car. Superb paintwork too. Forget about mileage and FVWSH and check the mechanicals, is my suggestion.

He says the engine was done 4 months ago don't know what was done yet but its a good question and will also ask about the other points. Totally fallen for it even though I've only seen photos so far!

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:03 AM ----------

and the seller sounds pretty genuine which helps

Mine is just about to touch 190k and ran just fine before I took it off the road. Very little rot (just a small amount on the arches, but it's been like that since I got it).

I've always kept on top of things, replacing as they get worn out and been round Europe twice in last two years. Miles doesn't mean much.

My way of looking at it is that if it looks nice and drives well, it'll probably be fine. At 190k it should be fairly easy to weed out the dogs - it's either about to die because of miles, or it's been well looked after and got plenty life in it still.

Maybe a bit simplistic, but usually works.

as above if its been looked after and well treated then i would not worry, where abouts are you as i'm sure someone from off here would go with you and look at it.

At that milage and age you want to be asking if the bushes and CV/ball joints etc have been changed out!

Bushes and joints are what people seem to forget! all good having new shocks and springs but if wishbone bushes are old will still feel crap!

I'm in the Reading area, bit of an earlyish viewing and late notice though. Thanks Robo I will check that out.

ha yeah. Is there anything I should know?! I thought it sounded OK did a check to see if it actually is a 2.9, recorded at 130k in 2003. Thought the price was a bit steep though.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

thought that if I like it and thought it was sound I would only buy it on the condition it passes a MOT

imo mileage is irrelevant with old cars, the only thing that realy matters is a good solid rust free body! parts can be swapped over like for like, even if you have slight mechanical knowledge its not hard to learn, even engine swaps can be done, but sorting out rust and body work issues is where the money is! and you cant exactly swap over a rusted arch for a mint one over the weekend with a cuppa tea!! you could spend £1000's sorting that stuff out! and once you start you kinda got to go all the way otherwise its pointless, i.e fixing the rust you realy should sort the stonechips and the dents out aswell other wise its a wasted paint job,

edit- also if thats the car above £1900? and mentioned in the description has no rust, idd buy it! like i said parts can be replacedwith ease but bodywork cant, there aint gona be many corrados out there that are rust free,

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Mines on 222k and never had a rebuild, though FVWSH until 170k - probably about 4 or 5bhp down on where it should be. Still pulls amazingly well, gearbox and running gear is fine. Body is fine other than a couple of small issues, though paint is a bit of a patchwork quilt!

Just a bit worried that it didnt sell the first time, either means the mileage put people off or there was something wrong with it. I guess theres something wrong with most of them nowadays!

i wouldnt worry to much, looks like its been looked after well, mentioned in the description had a service 4months ago costing £1400!! if they got the receipts then yea i wouldnt worry at all, most of the problems you would have to fix with buying a corrado have been already sorted.

That's gorgeous! Get him to put a new MOT, check it starts, engine doesn't smoke, it goes in all gears, doesn't pulls all over the road and it stops then offer £1500. £1900 is just too steep in this climate.

. £1900 is just too steep in this climate.

i dont think thats steep at all, you could buy alot worse with dodgey sun roof and no recent service history and some rust issues for like £1600

and this has all working electrics and recent service that cost £1400, think £1900 is prety damn good tbh, the main thing is it has no rust!

cost isnt an issue although i like a good bargin! but yeah just wanted to run it by the elders so to speak!

that car is probably better than the one i bought in the summer and i paid £2300 for mine! but it did have 11 months T&T

Take the plugs out and have a look at them. If top left and bottom right (when looking from the front of the car) plugs are oiled up them walk away.

My 1996 VR has 187k miles on it, I have looked after it as did the previous one owner and it runs really sweet.

It has had fair amounts of money spent on it to keep it in good condition, but I have no real complaints, no major rust problems either.

Aiming to get 300k out of mine !

Think the guys have guided you through the areas to look out for, if it passes all their notes of advise - buy it.

Although if the current owner has just spent £1400 on it, I would not be offering £1500 as previoulsy advised which I feel is a little insulting.

Just my view