corrado wannabe

Wishbone removal advice plz

Hi guys, got a new pair of wishbones for my car with the bushes already fitted and a couple of new balljoints also. I plan on tackling this at the weekend, can anyone confirm if it is only the VR6 that requires the oil sump to be removed? I have a 2.0 16V and I am assuming that nothing else requires to be removed other than the ARB?

Dougie

I don't know for sure but I know the sump is lower on the VR6 so would hazard a guess and say no but even if it was don't take the sump off, just loosen the gearbox mount and jack the engine up for clearance. Have fun anyway!

No clearance issues, both can be removed easily, if you look inside the subframe when the wishbone is out there is a c shaped locator for the rear bushing so no need to sleeve the bolts as on a mk2 golf.

I'd replace the rubbers on the arb droplinks too, or the whole droplink if it's badly corroded, the rubber mounts tend to distort and harden to the shape of the old rusty wishbone. Note the orientation of the droplinks, washers and rubbers and arb before you take everything apart, easy to get things the wrong way round on assembly.

Give them a good coat of wax protection spray after fitting but protect the brake disks and pads from overspray.

Thanks guys,

Will try and take some pictures as I do it, and no doubt there will be a few skint knuckles!!

David, any recommendations on wax protection spray? where from etc

Dougie

Ahhhh Corrado ownership, its taking me back to my early years with my Mk1 GTi, every bolt rusted to a crust, rounded off, jammed on!

Made a start at the weekend, put the penetrating oil on overnight, out next day and every bolt rounded! So had to invest in a set of Irwins bolt removers, think these will be a godsend over the next few months. Anyone got any experiences, good or bad with them?

Also ordered a new set of bolts from VW for both sides, 15 quid for 6 bolts and two nuts! Oh well classic car ownership I s'pose!

Dougie

Hi Ollie, yes I noticed both sets, just got the 5 piece base set from my local screwfix, it was a couple of pounds more expensive than I would have paid online, but I got it there and then to take away.

Like you say its a bit restrictive in sizes, but Im hoping that the 16mm will hammer onto the 18mm bolts as they are very soft and corroded, fingers crossed!! Will deffo be a purchase when I get paid as the wife will go spare when she sees all the shiny new bits for the car and the shiny new tools too!!

Dougie