Philuk

Which braided hoses? 288mm front and standard rear

I have had a search and haven't come up with alot tbh! But i was wondering what hose kit people went for when they were doing the 288mm front brake upgrade. Most braided kits come as a set ie front and rear. I think the mk3 golf vr 95- kit should fit fine. The front being banjo fit and rear a m to f screw in!? Just double checking tho!

Hi

I have a pair of (rear standard VR6 calliper) Goodridge braided hoses, only few months old.

Recently removed when I did the MK4 rears if of interest?

I got very good service from C & R when I bought my stainless hoses. There are two types of Mk4 caliper (the ones used on 288s and 312s - both banjo bolts but one revision has 1mm thread pitch and the other 1.5mm) and I got the wrong bolts in my order - but when I emailed them they sent me a new set free of charge :)

I used this set but you probably want this one - if you measure the thread pitch on your calipers first then you can be sure of getting the right bolts first time. Very reasonable prices too...

If you're draining/bleeding the brakes anyway there's no reason not to fit mk4 rears to be honest - they aren't expensive (mine were £50, plus £15 for new pads) and you can reuse your existing discs. I just went for peace of mind since I was getting some extra work done at the same time (rear beam bushes, both rear wheel bearings) so they were coming off anyway.

Stone

Where did you get your rear calipers from? Just out of interest

theres a load on ebay, if by chance theres nothing listed, just search mk4 golf breaking and message them about the calipers..

its well worth doing, a cheap and easy upgrade

if my current calipers arent having issues is it worth doing? is there any braking advantages seen as its still using same discs and pads. i might leave the standard corrado units for now and get some in the near future and replace them then.

I was in the same situation, my callipers were fine, not sticking, hand brake was good but as I was refurbing the that area and picked up second hand cheap callipers from ebay - ok, they needed blasting and painting but supposed to be more reliable in winter months due to the alloy material.

You then need different hoses for the conversion on the rear - venom motor sport sell the conversion kit. So its up to you if you want to change. Always good to use the braided hoses for a more positive bite on the pedal.

If you do get the callipers, you can always sell your old ones on especially if i good order, thats what I will be doing.

I was getting ominous creaking noises when moving off from stationary - not binding yet but it certainly sounded like they were getting there. I should get the car back tomorrow, I'll let you know the verdict!

Stone

This is probably a daft quesiton, but just want to be sure:

I bought some Golf mk3 288's off ebay, and they came with the original brake hoses still attached.

Can I use these hoses, or do I actually need to get the Goodridge's?

Cheers :)