josh.c

No sooner had I read stu37's thread and saw the damage...

That I recieved a phonecall from a rather distraught mother telling me she'd been in an accident :'(. She was turning onto the A4 (Bath Road) in Slough off of Leigh Road whilst the other driver was turning off a side road to go onto Leigh road... Although he was trying to go left from his road and straight over the Bath road to Leigh Road, his indicators hadn't turned off so the mother had presumed he was turning left onto bath road also. Mum was indicating so I can only presume he didn't see her..

Red - Him

Yellow - Mum

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51010[/ATTACH]

The whole front end seems to be pretty fooked, all lights knackered, bumper knackered along with the reinforcement bar, slam panel knackered, bonnet knackered, surprisingly though, the radiator actually seems to be retaining coolant, there is a coolant leak from the thin pipe from the top of the rad that goes to the expansion bottle, I'm presuming that's because of the pressure of the bent radiator hose that you'll see in attached pics.. What do people recommend to be the best course of action? We've yet to get on the phone to the insurance people. Opinions more than welcome. I'll upload pics in a min..

And to finish on a positive note: 'Rado made the 5 or so miles back home without so much as a grumble!

Bloody hell, is everyone out to get our cars at the moment?

I had a big evasive manoevure to avoid a car pulling out into the side of me tonight, not in my C but the Passat. Impressed my partner with the reactions, so browny points there!

We need a group buy for bubble wrap at this rate! Absolute crap standard of driving now by people.

Thanks guys. Bit worried about the extent of the damage I may uncover tomorrow, out of interest, what is the actual name of the black bar behind the bumper and does anyone have a spare for sale?! I've already had a look on the marketplace and cars for breaking but it would help if I knew what it is I'm looking for! Was supposed to be driving down to Centre Parcs next Monday for my 18th on Wednesday. Grrr

Bloody hell, is everyone out to get our cars at the moment?

Absolute crap standard of driving now by people.

Would appear so and yes driving standard these days are unbelievable!

Josh - sorry to see this dude, but if its any consolation it shouldnt take too much to get that back to how it was. The bar behind the bumper (the one the bumper is attached to i assume you mean, is just the bumper bracket.

If the rad is ok, chances are the damage may not be too bad. Remove the black bumper bracket - you'll have to get under the car and remove the 2 larger (17mm i think, NOT the smaller inner one) bolts on either side that holds the bumper irons, you'll then be able to slide the braket out. Then remove the slam panel - which has a fair few bolts holding it on. It was lucky that the damage looks to be in the middle as damage to the wings can and does damage the inner skins. A new slam panel, bonnet and bumper, lights, grille could see it been all good.

Oh and once you get the slam panel off check the rad where the brakets hold it onto the slam panel as looking at the pic those brackets look at a bent angle.

Edited by Critical_Mass

Jesus a lot of them are getting hit recently. Sorry to see this one to. Hope the repairs aren't too bad.

Hi,sorry about your bad luck,but i can help with the f/panel,bumper & bonnet

let me know if i can help thanks rod

sorry to see the damage, hope you manage to sort it out & get her back on the road were she belongs. Luckly just another chapter in the C's life & not a wright off.

Again, thanks all for the comments. Critical_Mass thanks for the advice, I'm going to get on with that today. It's so depressing because I've only just taken out insurance on her aswell. Rodmax, I may take you up on that offer, how much would you be looking for? Need to speak to the insurance people and see what they say..

I had similar damage on mine years ago. I bought a knackered one with a few days MOT on it. Swap the parts over in a day, and scrapped it. I'm sure I'll get murdered for suggesting it, but worth it to keep yours going if taken from something beyond repair.

This'll fix really easily, 10mm, 17mm, 13mm, screwdriver, pliers for bonnet cable, jack, maybe 16mm socket for engine mount if the cross member is bent.

Piece of cake. it's just a big meccano set tbh, and long term better than claiming insurance as well.

Good luck! :)

Hi ,just let me know, it wont be a lot say around £50 for the bonnet,slam & bump

let me know rod

Well spent the past few hours trying to get the slam off because it was so warped and whatnot! More bad news, top left mount for rad has snapped and the fans plastic leg things have mysteriously vanished.. so rad + fan to the list!

50 sounds more than fair, what colour is it all?

So much love for the Corrado Forum right now.

Also Wompa, made us laugh so thank you for that!

This whole thing couldn't have come at a worse time, got a holiday to pay for aswell so money is properly tight :(

Edited by josh.c

*cough. My rad top left support (that bolts with a 10mm to the slam panel) is lost in action. It's never caused in issue in 4years :)

Not sure about fan tho. Yeah, getting it all off it a pain because it'll be stressing bolts in odd ways and so on, but rebuild should be easier.

Jamiehamy fair enough :) Sorry for not replying to your previous post, It gave me a bit more confidence about everything I've gotta do. We should be able to get away with using this rad for now then. I'll upload a few more pics now the bumper irons are off.

Haha, my cough was only an apologetic cough because some people might think it bodgy to have one of the top supports missing!

You've made good progress. The tabs where the 10mm's screw into at the top of the chassis leg should bend back pretty easily. With use the amount you can tighten them reduces, so take it easy with them. A bit of locktite might not go amiss, something I'm going to do next time because they do loosen a bit.

I doubt the chassis legs have moved, but you'll know soon enough when you line up the new slam panel - I don't think it will tho.

So def looks like you only need bumper, bonnet, lights, grill and...water pipe. The crossmember looks fine. If you don't want the hassle of respraying different cokloured panels, tornado red panels always come up on ebay and so on.

Anyway, looks like you've got it in hand, you'll feel dead chuffed when you put it all back together! Tip with bumper - locate the rear most bolts on each side first hand tight. Then it's easier to line the front ones by moving the bumper from side to side. Not as easy the other way round.

Yup no damage at all, just new front end needed. :D

Though, the bottom left of the rad looks iffy, on the pic anyway. Maybe worth changing it whilst the front end is off.

Thanks Jamie :D Yeah they'll bend back fine, thanks for the tip on the bumper aswell! Water pipe is actually fine :) Critical Mass, if you mean the scuffs on the bottom left that look white, they're literally just scuffs so hopefully will be fine, advice appreciated though :) Already on eBay having a good look and contacting those who are breaking C's. I wonder if I can source all parts before next monday haha. Hopefully rodmax's bits will be the right colour aswell, that'd save alot of money + searching!

Hi, the panels are sherry in colour (sorry not red) but i do have a good rad ,hose & fan cowl assy

The front end is still pretty complete still apart from the lights & grill.so if you need anything else.

let me know rod