Sign in to follow this  
Captaincook

Would you buy this: VR6 N reg

Hi there All,

Just need a bit of advice, do you think I would have trouble when I come to sell a N reg VR6 100k mint condition inside and out. The engine is perfect, the body is sweet, but it has no history with it, the guy is selling it to me for £3500

It seems to have Air con, but I cant see how you turn it on and off, apart from the standard heater controls, whats telling me thatt it has AC is that there are 2 rads under the bonnet, is this normal for a VR6?

So if in 6 months time and I need to sell would anyone buy it, or do you think I would be stuck with it.

Thanks for any advice.

No history = possibly had the mileage rolled back a bit...

Its a real shame to see so many Corrado's being sold this way lately, it really is. I'd be very unsure about it.. and i'd definately get it RAC inspected or something to make sure there is nothing nasty waiting to go wrong on it!

As above - check the reg with the VW dealer and see if it had had any history - likely that it's had some in the last 8 years.

It is possible that it has been clocked, but not a certainty. Check all the MFA functions work correctly - IIRC sometimes when they've been clocked it buggers the MFA up in certain places.

Air con should have some extra switches - usually near the ABS lights. Something like Norm and Max (don't quote me though! :)).

If it is as good as you say it is, and you want the car, go for it!

Thanks peeps,

Yeah it does have Normal and Max buttons above the ABS light, didnt know what they were for, but do now, cheers.

The MFA is that the mini computer, if so that works fine.

Thats a very good point about the Vw dealer I'll call them tomorrow.

Cheers

You could also try phoning VW customer services (0800 711 811). They may be able to trace back where/when/and at what milage servicing has been done.

~Matt.

if its a "dealer"-fit A/C one...........the controls should be just above the cigar lighter.........basically just 2 small buttons on the same panel as the cigar lighter like the one on the picture below

i have seen another one that has used the ABS warning light position on the dash for the controls and re-located the ABS light to the switch blank beside the H/Light switch

as for the price £3500 sounds like a bargain for a well-specced C VR but at the same time it could well have some "history" that will make re-sale a bit harder.........i know of one that sounds pretty similar that a friend of a friend was tempted by........nice Dragon Green paint,black leather interior,A/C and cat D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!........which practically made it worthless :shock: :shock: :shock: .......so get it HPi'd first :wink:

Roddy, wasnt that switch just on the US cars that had vw aircon? :? Im pretty sure the UK cars with Diavair have the other Normal/Max buttons.

Roddy, wasnt that switch just on the US cars that had vw aircon? :? Im pretty sure the UK cars with Diavair have the other Normal/Max buttons.

pretty sure its for all markets........cos the fascia panels are seemingly identical to the one that somebody(cant remember his name :oops: ) from the forum fitted to his RHD one

All the Diavia fitted C's had NORMAL/MAX button switch where the ABS warning light sits.

The buttons above the cigar lighter was for factory fitted AC ie. LHD. Guy fitted this to his Storm and it wasn't plug and play because of the angle of the dash but he's now got the climatronic unit 8)

Mines in a completely different place to both of those. My buttons are under the rear screen heater, and fog light buttons.

The AC switches above the cigarette lighter are for factory fitted AC only. Factory fit AC was only available on LHD cars.

All UK RHD cars with AC were dealer fit only. They mostly fitted Diavia kits.

The offical Diavia kits for the Corrado went out of production in 1995, hence some late cars had "hybrid" Diavia kits made up. The full complete Diavia kit for the Corrado had a norm & max button panel which was fitted in the switch bank on the dash, or alongside the headlight switch (replacing the blank) - it's position often depended on the options fitted to the car (eg. heated seats).

Some of the hybrid kits did not have the norm/max switch panel, and so had a different set of switches. I've seen 1996 Corrados with the switches along side the handbrake on the centre tunnel.

The norm switch turns the AC on. The max switch closes an electric flap on the air intake in the scuttle, so causing the cabin air to recirculate thru the AC and so making it colder. Also blocks out the fumes from outside the car (eg stuck in traffic).

The Diavia kit is ok with regard to reliability - but much depends upon the monkey who fitted the kit to the car hen it was new. Unfortunately many kits have literally been thrown into the car, which will spell disaster us a few years down the line! Just be prepared to spend some money on the system, as it's very likely going to need some attention.

95 VR (with Diavia air con)