Pete

need some window trim but dunno the part or what it's called...

Hi guys I need the hard plastic piece broken in the picture on the drivers side. It goes from the bottom to the top corner where it meets the top rubber seal. The tape is preventing water from running behind dash so need it pretty urgently. VW still have it apparently it's 60 squid though!!!!

Can anyone help?

a5eda5a4.jpg

Edited by Pete

I didnt think this prevented water getting behind the dash, I have one on the car, if I can figure out how to take it off Ill let you know.

I'd seriously be thinking about a new screen if its leaking that bad. It'll only get worse.

There's a good chance you may have some corrosion under it. :-(

Good luck sorting it.

Hi guys, thanks for getting back to me.

The problem is that the rubber isnt being squashed between the missing plastic and the a pillar, the rubber is just wobbling around so water is getting inbetween the rubber and pillar.

I have a windscreen guy looking at it Monday and will ask for is to be refitted it if I could also replace the broke trim it would make sure water can't seep between them.

The amount of wat getting into the car is tiny, but I want it sorted cos I'm super fussy!!!

The rubber outer seal and the plastic covers are just cosmetic though buddy, it should be water tight without them fitted at all.

If it's leaking the screen isn't sealed in correctly.

No amout of squirting silicon sealant in is a perfect cure, it's just a bodge to sort it temporarily i'm afraid.

I have been through this my self and had 7 screens fitted to all my fleet over the years so like to think i'm pretty knowledgable on this topic lol! ;)

I had to have my screen replaced last year and it was a total horror show around the edge. I strongly advocate spending the excess cost of having the screen removed, then get the edges sorted by a bodyshop with a trailer and have a nice new top quality screen refitted. Autoglass in Sandiacre got me a pucker Saint Gobain and were lucky enough to be able to reuse my existing well fitting rubber seal. More modern bendy seals can fit well too, though look non standard. Good luck :)

Cost can be around £60 as you can do it through your insurance if you have windscreen cover.

If not then expect around £500 or more. I recently had one fitted and the bill was £556.00 but I only had to pay the excess and that was with the company ogf my choice and a VW windscreen too. :)

I been quoted 65 over the phone to have my screen removed, cleaned and refitted. When the guy sees it Monday if the price goes up I think I'll ring the insurers.....

Hope the A Pillars are in good condition for you Pete, means a little cutting out and welding job if not i'm afraid to properly cure it.

Good luck.

As has been said, that trim comes with the new screen (£60 excess on your insurance ;) ) and if it's leaking you may have some tinworm hiding underneath.

Should be, I saw them bare when the car was repealed and they looked perfect to be honest...

Well after a bit of faffing I have a new screen fitted. The adhesive around the bottom where the damage was had turned to almost dust and the water was slowly seeping around it so when driving the wind pushed it underneath.

Left it out in the rain this afternoon and all looks good so far touch wood!!

Thanks for the advice guys.