Critical_Mass

Temp car insurance

Hi all,

Looking at getting a second car for the winter months. My girlfriends grandad has a volvo 440 1.9 diesel sat in the garage not doing anything. I can use it for the winter so been looking at temp car insurance. 3 months minimum is required really. Any recommendation on companies who can provide this.

I've looked on ecar, so looking at other companies.

Cheers

Gaz

I've always found temporary to be expensive, 4 weeks costs as much as insuring for a year on a normal policy. Check into taking a years insurance on monthly payments then cancel later. Check the small print though as some charge if you cancel.

I've always found ecar to be cheapest when insuring for up to about a week, but never had to do it longer. Have you asked your usual insurer? May look favourably on you rather than using a comparison site as your obviously already a customer.

My insurer for the Corrado is Greenlight - who wont insure anything other than performance cars. I dont think a 1.9 diesel would be a performance car :lol:

bump

---------- Post added at 06:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 PM ----------

Infact possible change of plan. Going to get the Corrado put onto a classic car policy and use another car for the rest of the year. so will maybe use the COrrado for about 6 months and another car for the other 6 months.

So Classic car insurance companies...?

Can anyone give me an idea as to why classic car insurance is so expensive. Im getting quotes of around £500, that is for 6000 miles per year max. COuld the mileage be why?

Could be the milage, although my Rocco is on a 5000 a year policy. Try Peter James on 021 506 6040. They have been the best so far, sensible people to talk to. They like the Corrado club, tell them a member reccomended them.

Problem with that company is they ask require yiu to be over 30 car be over 20 and no mods. Im 29 with 18 year old car that has modal. though no mods that up the performance

---------- Post added at 01:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

I know you dont accumulate NCB on classic car insurance but does classic insurance use NCB you've accrued?

No they don't ask for or give NCB. My Corrado was fine with mods when I changed address recently there was no charge, and having just sold the Corrado I swaped the 6 month remaining on to my MX5 with only a £15 fee.

My Rocco is 31 years old modded to the hilt and insured with Flux Direct. Different company to Adrian Flux as I was informed when I rang the wrong number!