Jim

Top Gear New Series - 29/01/2012

I do wish they would go back to the "real" events on their road trips though rather than contrived ones. It used to be hilarious when they showed the genuine off the cuff humour, but now its a lot of staged gags. Still look forward to it on a Sunday evening though :)

Jay

Couldn't agree more! :)

Talking of contrived... that last episode was absolutely appalling! Enjoyed the first two episodes- seemed like they'd got back on track... then that 3rd episode happened. Clarkson and Hammond are NOT actors, yet that whole stunt article was just a silly little fictional 'play'. They could have made an interesting AND funny sequence, but unfortunately decided to go the route of total fiction. Absolutely hated it. Everyone involved was just acting. Horrible. If there's much more of this, I won't be watching again :(

Talking of contrived... that last episode was absolutely appalling! Enjoyed the first two episodes- seemed like they'd got back on track... then that 3rd episode happened. Clarkson and Hammond are NOT actors, yet that whole stunt article was just a silly little fictional 'play'. They could have made an interesting AND funny sequence, but unfortunately decided to go the route of total fiction. Absolutely hated it. Everyone involved was just acting. Horrible. If there's much more of this, I won't be watching again :(

Ditto. First time I've ever turned off a new episode before the end but I couldn't bear it any more.. it was toe curlingly bad!

Totally agree. It was utter crap. They seem to forget what the show is all about. It is NOT about them... it is about cars. I wish they would just scrap all that fooling around rubbish, took some car and just done a proper test of it.

I went to top gear being filmed today :)

c05e250d.jpg

10391c1c.jpg

28122cd7.jpg

d581a873.jpg

64 litre v12 BMW engine from an old fighter plane in a car!

Good stuff - looking forward to seeing that thing in an episode!

Good stuff - looking forward to seeing that thing in an episode!

mate is was spitting flames out of out of it! and they had a vintage bently with a spitfire engine in it, they had a race around the track :)

What the programme needs is rid of clarkson what a pleb that bloke is ,i think the other two would actually do a much better job without him! fifth gear is so much more car orientated and not just about 3 blokes p..s..g about using our licence money...rite im down off my soap box now lol

I disagree. Top Gear is Clarkson, and his on-screen persona is purely just that - a persona. Watch any of the historic documentaries done by him (there's the one about the raid on the submarine pens in St. Nazaire and also one about the Victoria Cross) and you'll see he's a well educated, passionate guy who speaks with enthusiasm about a subject that clearly interests him.

He knows that being an obnoxious buffoon has got Top Gear to where it is today (a global success) so he's unlikely to change - or leave.

I disagree. Top Gear is Clarkson, and his on-screen persona is purely just that - a persona. Watch any of the historic documentaries done by him (there's the one about the raid on the submarine pens in St. Nazaire and also one about the Victoria Cross) and you'll see he's a well educated, passionate guy who speaks with enthusiasm about a subject that clearly interests him.

He knows that being an obnoxious buffoon has got Top Gear to where it is today (a global success) so he's unlikely to change - or leave.

Totally agree Jim, most people don't realise Clarkson is acting a part......the grumpy, politicaly incorrect one! But the show needs to get back to being more about cars.

But the show needs to get back to being more about cars.

I completely appreciate this point, and a number of posts have made similar points, but..... the bloke on last week's show with the jet-plane-backpack-thing(!) was amazing - my wife even showed an interest. What would he have done if the engines hadn't fired as he jumped from the helicopter?!?! Nutter!

Totally agree Jim, most people don't realise Clarkson is acting a part......the grumpy, politicaly incorrect one! But the show needs to get back to being more about cars.

yeah agree micheal more cars and your rite he is deffo acting thats all the three of them do now less of there opinions more races etc wud be more interesting tho

The racial slurs do get tiresome and I agree, a bit more focus on cars would be nice. Frankly I would love to see a slightly more dry, factual car programme on TV but clearly proper petrolheads (i.e. those more interested in the inner workings and getting their hands dirty) are in a minority and it's clearly just easier to put another talent contest on as it appeals to more people. And Top Gear certainly does have it's moments.. they've done some absolutely excellent articles over the years, geared more towards proper enthusiasts.. such as the feature on Lancia and so forth.

I know it's not for everyone but Wheeler Dealers on Discovery is pretty excellent. Mike Brewer is a little tiring but the hands on bits in the workshop with Ed are always really worth watching!

The racial slurs do get tiresome and I agree, a bit more focus on cars would be nice. Frankly I would love to see a slightly more dry, factual car programme on TV but clearly proper petrolheads (i.e. those more interested in the inner workings and getting their hands dirty) are in a minority and it's clearly just easier to put another talent contest on as it appeals to more people. And Top Gear certainly does have it's moments.. they've done some absolutely excellent articles over the years, geared more towards proper enthusiasts.. such as the feature on Lancia and so forth.

I know it's not for everyone but Wheeler Dealers on Discovery is pretty excellent. Mike Brewer is a little tiring but the hands on bits in the workshop with Ed are always really worth watching!

just what i was saying jim and wheeler dealers is a fav i think ive watched all them at least 5 times each somewhere inbetween the two wud be perfect lol

good show. couple of impressive items in the news section.

The guy last week with the jet engines on his back was a real nutter and yes this sort of thing is good to watch on Top Gear, it's just the toe curlingly bad contrived sh*t that needs getting rid of.

Anyone remember when "new Top Gear" started and Jason Dawe was one of the presenters? He did his usual stuff on second hand cars, only kept him one season though...Face didn't fit, I suppose?

Hamsters "persona" on the show is an act too, they have him all cuddly and pocket size with big eyes like the cat in Shrek, so the ladies like him. In reality he's well into his sports bikes with his mates.

Another good car show was "Pulling Power" that used to be on Central TV in the 90s.