Wesleyvr6

Fans staying on??

Hi all, the fans on my 95 vr6 stay on constantly, has anyone any idea which sensor it is likely to be that needs changing? Many thanks

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but was wondering if someone could help diagnose the fact my vr fans are staying on. They come on after a couple of mins driving (not yet up to temp) and then stay on until I turn the ignition off. I have unplugged the connector below and it shuts the fans down. Plug it in they come back on. Does this mean the black box (fan control module) is goosed? Any ideas?

Many thanks!

This happens on the early dizzy models due to the poor soldering on the FCM internal diodes

Basically they fall off in side the box and if removed the FCM will rattle !

Not sure about the later coil pack version's ? :(

Unplug all the sensors, plug in the fan and module and see if the fans still run. If they do, bad wiring or module. If they don't, plug in each sensor and see which sensor triggers it. Even new sensors can go wrong. My new febi one lasted 6 weeks.

3 on the thermostat housing. Blue plug, yellow plug and black/brown plug. All next to each other other and then one on the radiator, near the battery toward the bottom. Rubber covered 3 pin plug in a triangle or straight shape depending on your age of vr6. Unplug all 4 and if the fan doesn't run, start to plug them back in.

How fast do the fans run? If they are slowly or at a medium speed, it's your radiator switch. If it's at full whack, it'll be your black sensor. The blue sensor is for the ecu and shouldn't turn the fans on. The yellow sensor is for the gauge and aux water pump and shouldn't (I believe from memory) set of the fans.

Thanks again will try this today. They run at full bung so I'm thinking black sensor. Will wait and see (but start looking for a replacement too) thanks

Black plug out and no fans. Black plug in and they run on full. So I need a "black" switch. Any ideas on part numbers and where to source? Will start searching but if anyone has the info to hand?? Many thanks again

Get a genuine one for backup mate. These sensors can go bad overnight and a cheap copy isn't always a good thing. Glad it was fixed cheap though :-)

Not necessarily, vw heritage sell genuine quality as well. So long as you buy a decent brand like febi or mehle, you should be ok :-)

In that case, you'll be reet! I got a febi one for my radiator switch which lasted a week, but these things sometimes happen with temperature sensors especially.