Hoppum

G60 still rolling when in gear.

Hi guys.

Long story short one of my handbrake cable tubes is split so i can't leave the handbrake on overnight as it'll freeze on. I've been leaving the car in gear as my driveway is sloped but I've come out twice now and found it had rolled down and was blocking the pavement in front of the drive. On further investigation I can roll it down the drive by pushing the front wheel with my feet. I've got a whining clutch release bearing at the moment but the clutch doesn't seem to be slipping, I can put it in 5th at about 15mph, floor it and the revs still take an age to pick up.

Any ideas? Is it just the low compression of the engine?

Yeah....low compression of the engine. What gear are you attempting to hold it in?

I had the same thing happen to me at the car park of the Nordschleife (Nurburgring) when my car was a 2.0 8V. Stupidly left it in 3rd instead of 1st after a lap and walked away, heard some shouting and turned round to see it slowly making its way towards a propped up Hayabusa! Luckily the front wheels dropped into a drainage gulley at the bottom of the space which stopped it about a foot short of the 'Busa otherwise it could have been much worse!

Been leaving it in 1st.

Look likes I'll have to start annoying the drive-less neighbours and park it in the street.

Just leave it in 1st and have a handy brick nearby that you can bung under the rear wheel before you get out (you should be able to lean out of the door with your foot still on the brake pedal and place it under the rear wheel).

It's not so bad as that, I can get out the car normally and walk away with out it rolling. I'll just come out the next morning and it'll practically be in the street.

But it obviously is as bad as that really....the car rolling out onto the pavement isn't exactly ideal?!

I think it'd be best to replace the handbrake tubes and cables so you can leave the handbrake on overnight really because then you won't have an issue.

Either that or just use the brick.

I just meant it's not as bad as rolling as soon as I take my foot off the brake lol.

Obviously I'll be replacing the tubes, was just wondering if there may be another problem to fix as well.

Edited by Hoppum

Might be worth giving it a compression test just to check the general condition of the engine but obviously a FI lump will turn over easier than an NA engine...lower compression as you mentioned.

Until you get new tubes then the brick is the way to go.....ooo-err!