NickHall55

Please help my 76yr old dads pride and joy run smooth again!!!

Hello,

Where do I start? I'm trying to help my father sort his 2.0l 8v 1995 corrado.

The problem:-

It starts fine and all seems well, no engine lights etc, you can drive fine for a while then all of a sudden it is as if you have turned the engine off for a split second, no engine lights, it just cutts out for a split second then runs again. This causes massive juddering as it may do it several times at a time, pull away from a junction and then it does it, or even just cruising at 30mph it will die just for a second. Id love him just to take to a garage and get it sorted but that costs alot and neither him or I have money that. I've spent hours and hours reading forums, watching videos, we have tried a few things but no better.

Here's what we have done so far:-

New plugs

new ht leads

new dizzy cap

new rotar arm

new relay,i think he said it was No30.

he has had some new vacuum pipes fitted by a garage,no better.

just cleaned throttle box

just cleaned maf sensor and another on the intake side, dont know what its called

Think thats it. I would really appreciate any help and input to sort my dads car.

Many thanks,

Nick.

I'd suggest getting it Vag-Com'd if you haven't already - there may be someone local on this or another VW forum that can help you.

I had a similar problem with my 8V (before I TDi'd it) and it turned out to be the coil. However it didn't do much cutting out and restarting, it just did it a couple of times and then died completely.

Sounds exactly what my 8v was doing, replaced the relay that runs the ECU and it still did it so thought it can't be that, tried alsorts then gave up and called in an auto electrition who sais the new relays can be just as bad.

So he basically soldered a the old relay and it has been perfect since. Best 50 quid I spent on it :-)

Also do check the wire from the crank sensor just behind the front engine mount as that is a classic for going brittle and failing too on this engine.

Good luck.

Kip

Wow so quick as responding, cheers guys. Just told my parents about this and my mums shouted tell em they can have the *&^%by thing!LOL

Daylight tomorrow i'll have a look at this crank sensor wiring.

Thanks again,

Nick.

By the way....what colour is the Corrado?

Is it dark metallic red (Sherry Pearl?) If so then I saw it driving down the promenade back in November!

Cherry pearl metalic my dad says!

---------- Post added at 10:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 PM ----------

Sounds like it, was it like a bucking bronco that was definately it! :)

Mine did similar until I realised that the earth clamp on the battery was loose. It hasn't done it since I tightened the clamp up. It's a long shot but worth checking them.

Oh and it's probably Sherry pearl not Cherry :)

It looked really nice....if he is ever really interested in selling then I'd be very interested in purchasing, I have a thing about Sherry Pearl (it's definitely Sherry, not Cherry ;))

It's on standard 15" 5-spoke wheels isn't it too?

I second Purple Tom on his theory on the coil.

My old Vento GL with 2.0 8v started doing exactly the same thing, went on like this for a while before becoming near impossible to restart.

I narrowed it down to two things, firstly replaced the coil (which resolved the problem) and also a worn ignition barrel switch (which didn't help matters).

Never replaced the ignition switch cause shortly after replacing the coil I stripped the car for parts and moved on.

I had a similar issue on my 8v gti. Replaced the ecu relay and coil but cutting out still happened. Turned out to be the crank sensor.

Although on mine it would cut out and not start for a while.

When you say it was the crank senor, could you see actual cracked wire or something or is it a case of replacing the lot? Where from and how much?

Cheers,

Nick.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 PM ----------

Purple Tom.

He's that fed up with it i'll tell him tomorrow.

Nick.

Ooh ooh ooh! I've just remembered! If you decide to replace the crank sensor then I have one!

They are BIG money from VAG (in fact, if you have a look at the first page of my TDi thread you can see the work I did on the car before, when it was a 2.0 8V), something in the region of £120, but I have absolutely no use for it so if you want it then its yours for £25. I replaced it in February 2009 and carried out the TDi conversion in March 2011 so its probably only done about 15,000 miles. Still in perfect working order too.

Just thought I'd mention that!

Sorry, £150 is what it cost!

Coils are a known weak point on this engine ( as per mk3 golf ). Mine gave up without any notice. Would certainly get the ecu scanned before throwing money at it first though.

Tower sized respect for your dad keeping the Corrado flame alive.

How longs he had it ?

Tell him there's a fellow sherry pearl 8v sufferer, erm sorry driver in the northwest as well.

Top man for helping him out.

Edited by James.

He had a new coil about 2 years ago i think, like you sid it just day one out of the blue. Had the fun of towing him home, hate doing that.

My dad loves VW, he used to have a sciroco before this( is that how you spell it). Not sure but at least 10 years.

James my dad is a topman, hate to see him struggling with it thats why i so keen to get it sorted. Visualise him with his cap screaming after boy racers in the AX.s and corsa's, cos he does!

Cheers!

I know exactly what you mean. My dad's 70 and rolls about in a BM with 18" BBS RS's bolted on. He also has a penchant for chasing down other moded motors.

Fair play I say.

yes the crank sensor is a one to replace as 1st point of call, but i would also take inspect the wiring harness that channels down past the battery to the back of the bulk head there is a sharp edge that chaffed my wiring , which was the throttle control wiring, it used to be intermitant and worse when it rained as it was shorting badly, suprised i didnt pop the ecu considering how many wires were shorting to each other and earth, just turn the loom over with an inspection lamp and make sure it free from damage.