4eyes2wheels

Detailing Tape v Masking Tape

Have lashed out the cash on a G220 polisher (early birthday present to myself) and have seen people using detailing tape to either mask off windscreen washer jets and similar) or just divide panels into manageable chunks. Question is can you use normal masking tape or does that stick to the paintwork in a nasty fashion? :scratch:

i've only noticed problems if you leave it on for too long, i.e: longer than 24hrs

even then it was nothing a quick wipe with resin polish or even wax got rid of any marks.

The 3M masking tape is peanuts if you buy if from a local Automotive paint suppliers - it's just the detailing sites that charge £5 a roll!

Ordinary masking tape is quite tacky as said. The next level down is Painter's tape (blue - 3M's 2090) and then detailing tape (blue - 3M's 3434).

What I have found is the detailer's tape was much less sticky in such a way it leaves nothing of the adhesive behind and was slightly easier to work with when initially applying and masking up. Plus being blue, you can see the polisher head's polish hitting it whereas the cream masking tape won't show that up.

It's not that expensive. I pay £2.95 for 25mm wide x 50m at my local detailing supplier and it lasts for three car's worth.

I used making tape once and took paint off! As seen in this picture just above the roof strip.

d4b7804c-ee79-1ab0.jpg

Sent from my HTC Desire

blue tape is a much better option if you can get hold of it..

laquer lift like the above shouldnt be a problem unless you already have suspect areas but it is much tackier so not ideal. Again as above much easier colour wise too..

blue tape is a much better option if you can get hold of it..

Stacks at B&Q for the Painter's Tape. I don't have a problem with it. With the masking tapes on the same shelf. Pricey though. Cheaper to go to my detailer store.

on the masking tape construction side, ordinary masking tape has an open weave on the edge, this will tend to draw paint into it, leaving a non crisp line. While 'painters' tape, has a closed edge to it, thus leaving a crisp line

see my crude sketch for reference

I have got a load of these arriving soon. They are the 3434 rolls so 25mm wide & 5m long. For forum members how does £5 for 2 rolls posted sound?