Pat_McCrotch

Just bought a house! :) Questions...

Finally getting on the property ladder and had an offer agreed on house in Ipswich :) Includes a garage for the Corrado of course ;)

The property in question is 15-18 years old and is in need of some modernisation in places (lick of paint needed, coved ceilings, sapele doors etc) but the one thing that confuses me is that the property has no chimney but a gas fireplace? I have attached a picture. Ideally I wanted a log burner but have been told this isn't a possibility due to the lack of chimney? :(

Now, my options are;

- Replace with a more modern looking fireplace, but perhaps a waste of money as it is an Energy Efficiency rating of C anyway?

- Remove the fireplace and surround, gain a little more living space and save cash not replacing it. But everyone I've spoken to moans that there will be no 'central point'? Would a 52 inch television be classed as a central point ;)

- That the log burner statement was incorrect?

The people i'm buying it off have said it's a warm house anyway. So any advice?

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

This is a personal choice thing.

My view would be - No a 52" TV would not be a central point - but I think it would to most.

I would not remove it all together as the room can be very non descript with nothing, but just a box.

Given the funds - then yes, I would change the existing fire to a more modern one.

Don't know if you have been following the Log Burner thread, but Kev showed a webpage of fires - which I think have similar things available in gas. Not cheap !

More importantly - I would live in the house as it is for 12 months, so you make the right decision rather than rush out and buy something.

Besides you are almost definetely going to get various unexpected costs in the first few months.

Growing up in cold houses with coal fires, I never liked to dispense with the warm central focal point of the living room when I moved out.

To fill this desire (which is bound to be primeval!) I/we have always had a decorative electric fire - once set in a teak mantlepiece when they were in vogue in the 1970s lol - as a central focus point.

At the moment I have the flatscreen tv set above a low electric fire, so you get the best of both worlds.

The Mrs does not really like my idea for when visitors come, but goes along with it. That helps!

The fire has a couple of 700w-ish bars but it is only switched on with one bar, now and again. A red light bulb spinning a flame flicker effect from the thing keeps me happy 90% of the time.

Wendy's idea of settling in for a while before you decide is - as would be expected from her - most sensible!

Rip it out, it looks bloody awful :grin:

If its a gas fire, it must have some form of ventilation, probably a power flue, which would suggest the wall the fire is located on is open outside, surely some sort of chimney/flue could be made up for a log burner :shrug:

The gas fire is probably vented into a precast block flue in the wall, these can only be used for gas. It will vent on the roof through a tubular flue pipe or a ridge vent. You could have a wood burner if that is an outside wall as the "twin wall" flue would need to go outside and up but this is expensive stuff. Not really practical through the bedroom above!

I think a flat screen is fine as a focal point, although I'm told looks a little batchelor pad!

Get a more contemporary gas fire!

Also out of interest you can get gas fires that are flueless, they have a catalyitic converter in and so can be fitted almost anywhere you can get a gas pipe to.

Edited by Toohottotrot

I'm with Wendy on this one (which won't be a surprise to her or many others).

Don't do anything major for a while...you will find unpacking boxes takes ages anyway! Live in it and get a feel for what you want. And a 52" TV is not a focal point, though 1,000's obviously don't agree with me (my brother in law included)!!

that gas fire could be vented via a chimney, but most likely via a balanced flue through the wall which supplies the fire and also vents it, similar to a gas boiler does.

before fitting an open fire or woodburner you need to know if you live in a smoke free zone, your council would be fit to tell you, and that then drives the options.

open fires/ wood burners either require a solid brick/ block chimney or a stainless flue liners that fit inside an existing chimney to line it, the stainless liners can be sectionalised or on a roll.... neither are cheap, expecially if you don't have a chimney to start with!

if you build a chimney you need it to clear your ridge line by a 1m+ off the top of my head, more if its near an openable window.

i'd go for a cosy real fire any day of the week, congrats on the purchase btw.

I'd say keep a gas fire in there but something more modern just not too out of place with the surround. Long term really contemporary ones will date quite badly but a more traditional gas fire and surround will always look nice in the room and always be far more attractive to future buyers. I know you've only just bought it though :lol:

Wood burner may sound nice, but its loads more work and you have to store wood etc, gas is just flick on instant heat and really just a focal point if you have ch.

Another good tip if you dont already have it is a seperate account for all your utility bills, and if you can pay more into it than you need to so at the end of the year you have a little extra to withdraw for xmas presents or beer vouchers :)

Plus we have a seperate one for cars so al insurance is paid Annually, MOT, Tax etc, all come's from the cars account so it's easy to see what you have left each month for food etc.

I'm terrible with money but I think i'm ok with this set up lol!

Quite like something like this too!

http://www.johnlewis.com/230206282/Product.aspx?s_kwcid=ps_pla

Edited by KIPVW

Another good tip if you dont already have it is a seperate account for all your utility bills, and if you can pay more into it than you need to so at the end of the year you have a little extra to withdraw for xmas presents or beer vouchers :)

Good idea. I probably won't get in there until May so at least I won't be using the heating much and can get a better grasp of what the bills will be :) It's been nearly 3 years since I put anything on tick so it's going to be strange having lots of money going out of my account again :(

I like that fireplace too, neutral (no bling), small, won't date and made by John Lewis :)

The Corrado is going from 10,000 miles a year to 3000 miles, being garaged and no more commuting so *touch wood* i'm hoping my insurance will at least half :)

We had the same dilemma last year. My living room looks the same sort of size to yours, after cavity wall etc my house is piping hot so never ever use the fire as it's just not needed. Having said that we didn't want to lose the fire place look either so we capped the gas pipe and installed an electric fireplace and surround. Actually really pleased with the look of it and at a fraction of the cost for a gas fire, leaves more budget for more important upgrades, like in the garage :)