lewvw

Hot hot hot vr6

My VR is really peeing me off now, I have replaced most of the cooling system and it still runs up to 110 on the coolant temp gauge and upto 116-118 oil temp. As far as i'm concerned thats too hot to make for relaxed journeys! The only thing i haven't replaced is my thermostat + housing.

My fans run a treat according to the definitive cooling guide.

Am I damned to a life of driving a C on the edge of overheating/burnt oil/warped head or is there something wrong with my thermostat?:scratch:

Stat could be stuck closed. Once up to temp, are the top and bottom rad hoses the same temp? If there is a difference, then it's not opening properly. They should be different until the stat opens.

Have you flushed it through thoroughly and changed the waterpump? Rad OK? Any airlocks? Sounds like there is a flow problem.

Have you had it on vagcom to see if the actual temp matches the clock temp?

Stat could be stuck closed. Once up to temp, are the top and bottom rad hoses the same temp? If there is a difference, then it's not opening properly. They should be different until the stat opens.

Have you flushed it through thoroughly and changed the waterpump? Rad OK? Any airlocks? Sounds like there is a flow problem.

Have you had it on vagcom to see if the actual temp matches the clock temp?

I've changed the rad (for a euro car parts special admittedly - which i was disappointed with as its thinner than the original but was all i could get at the time), water pump, aux pump, all sensors apart from the brown one in the housing. And i've done a flush. Is there a bleed point on the cooling system anywhere? I think i'll change the stat and housing anyway cus it looks original and quite scabby!?

Just run it up to temp with the reservoir cap off. Squeeze all the hoses to remove any airlocks. I would always change the stat before anything else!