seanl82

Metering head service kit??

Hi Gents. I've had a search but couldn't find anything, and I want to clean up the banjos and pipework on the fuel distribution system on my KR. Obviously removing everything will mean I need to replace O'seals & washers etc, but is there a specific kit around for this?

Cheers fellas! :o

I would tend not to break down the fuel metering head for three reasons (at least).

1) Some parts, particularly the central fuel control plunger is a very tight tolerance, iirc no seals.

2) Any spec of dirt left in the internals could cause problems. And may travel down to partially block the injector(s).

3) The fuel injectors are not really tolerant of small particles in the system (even the fuel filter can let through dirt that will clog the injectors) unlike later/more modern injectors which fully open and time injection of fuel. K-Jet injectors are open all the time and work with a small or large openings. When open only a little, this is when the ijector blocks and dirt becomes embedded in the seal at the tip which then leads to distorted fuel injection spray and dribble leaking when the engine is turned off.

Remember, you are in the part of the system where they are no protective fuel filters in the fuel path. Fuel has already passed through the fuel filter, so is assumed to be clean.

There is a kit of parts for the pressure regulation side of things for the head. But this has to be set up with fuel pressure equipment as getting it at the wrong system pressure affects the fuelling in the K-Jet. The pressure regulation is shimmed. The kit is 035 198 685 - parts kit for fuel metering valve.

If it ain't bust, don't break it down.

Clean it up cosmetically with all connections coupled to keep out dirt and leave.

Ok thanks gents. I wont bother then with all the afterwork it would create. Just bang it off, block pipework off, and rub it down a clean it up I think. :thumbleft: