northG60

*ATTENTION G60 People (my SECOND charger is F****D)*

Well im gutted to be honest dont really know what to do......pretty F*****G angry to be frank

Last june a brought what was suposed to be a stage 4 fully rebuilt charger ..... and i have driven around 3000 miles since fitting it (i followed the fitting and bedding in guide 100% to the word)

here comes the sob story....

so i ordered my new radiator (my old one is leaking) on friday and though i would get some prep work done today to make it easy on myself next weekend when i fit it.... so im removing all hoses, wires ect that could get in the way and i removed the first boost hose off my RSR outlet to find oil coating the walls...... so i looked further into it taking my RSR off and i found part of the seal poking out the exhaust end of the charger :'(

I knew what this ment imediatley so i took my chager out the car and got it into the garage opening it to find this...

now... the exhaust side of the scroll is totally gone and is beyond help .....but i cant see any issue with the intake side , there is no signs of scars on the scroll or anything imediatly obvious to me

obviously im going to get proffesional advise on the intake side

I really need some beer.... and a new charger god dammit

*EDIT*

im just looking for some advice really from 16vG60 or one of the G60 boys on what to do...

Edited by northG60

Double bummer! Not alot that can be done then. Feel for you mate, they're getting hard to come by.

For what a 1.8t costs nowadays you might want to look down that route instead. Still pennies to be made out of what you have left in the bay

I agree with above,I didn't like the idea of taking g60 out but now I wouldnt change back now I have a 1.8t in the bay and it costs about the same as buying another charger.I just hated counting down the hours til it needed changing and parts are getting more expensive and harder to find. Also I was always worried about the seals going as they can go in a very short time even if u take care of the charger. All u will miss is the sound,but the Turbo sounds will make up for it :-)

Hi North G60,

Sorry for your g-lader gone. I would like to ask you a couple of questions though, if it's okay. Having a G60 myself, I would like to know this:

- Exactly what oil have you used? (Brand, viscosity and type)

- How many miles between changing oil?

- bearing types?

- big and small belt type?

- Did you also change the oilfilter (original, not another brand)?

- Did you change the oil after the winter? (possibly having store the car)

- Have you looked at or changed the oil feed line to the g-lader?

- Have you put on a cotton gauze airfilter like K&N, Sparco, Green, etc, or an original paperfilter in the box?

- In what state and how many miles did your oilpump do?

- Original or other seals in the G-lader? And the grease too?

- smaller or standard pulley-wheel for the G-lader?

- Did you always with no exception, warm up the engine to normal oil operating temp, before giving more throttle? (say 95 degrees Celsius)

- Wrong porting, for example in the outlet, where there's a small oilpassage, in the starweb shape.

All of this can destroy the g-lader. It is not sure that one or more causes of these did it, but it's much morelikely to happen because of this.

I hope you find a good charger. I myself wouldn't want a turbo, but prefer a charger, but that is just me.

g-laders can, afaik, be bought still brand new. Same goes for the part that went dead on yours.

Hope you solve it ;)

Cheers,

Redfox

Edited by Redfox

so hungover today.....

yeah it was G-Werks but it would be out of warrenty anyway so...... nothing can be done about it so im not gonna get wound up

As for what im gonna do engine wise I am deffinatly keeping it as a G60 and will get another G-Ladder without question G60's are a pain in the ass but so much fun + the noise is immense also theyre pretty damn rare now because of things excatly like this i guess

@redfox

ive only used VW oil filters and i use silver synta from VW and do oil changes every 3 k (charger had fresh oil when it was first getting bed in) and yeah checked my oil lines ect could be loads of different things i'll never know why it went this way

I know bar-tek sell individual scrolls on there own for about 350 euros but thats assuming the inlet side is still okay

just gutted that ive now gone through two chagers in under two years.....

Search German eBay you will be able to find an inlet side for a charger on its own.

I have considered buying from there to experiment with porting