Sign in to follow this  
Bobbywhacker

cheap mod

After removing the carbon canister, as recommended by many of you.. I went down my local scrapy and got hold of a G-reg passat snorkel pipe.. this fits directing in where the cc was and has a bend in it taking it to the brake cooling duct.... and only £5! Cannae argue with that

Right,

I haven't actually looked inside the CC yet, so don't know what kind of filter is inside... so bear with me.

What's doing your filtering? Any pictures?

Cheers,

Rica

I dunno whats in the CC either, crap probably! I just removed the whole lot. I've got a K&N induction kit on there, which has a air supply running from in front of the radiator and now this new one aswell that sits directly under the filter giving a nice supply of cold air. I'm gonna knock up a heat shield next weekend, so I'll post some pictures then

any chance of getting a pic of the snorkel up on here?

whats the dia. of the snorkel?

I want something as wide as possible.

always with the smut Kev, shame you had to let the poor girl down ;)

As soon as I typed that I thought "oh dear" :twisted:

the cannister if full of little grains of carbon.

I was gonna say that, but I thought it was a bit obvious

Well the official blurb on these things is they contain 'activated charcoal' which absorbs hydrocarbons from the fuel vapours. The remains of the 'cleaned' vapours are sucked into the engine, govenered by frequency valve N80.

N.E.R.D haha, sorry, thought your original reply was very funny though!! What cheap mod can I perform next hmmm...... done the lupo wipers, loom is on order as we speak, de-blinged the headlights.

Cannae get a pic of the snorkel at the mo, its about 75-80mm in diameter at one end, it then shapes into a 100mmx40mm rectangle at t'other end.... car makes a mental sound tho now! :p

Cannae get a pic of the snorkel at the mo, its about 75-80mm in diameter at one end, it then shapes into a 100mmx40mm rectangle at t'other end.... car makes a mental sound tho now! :p

that sounds plenty big enough :)

where abouts is it located on the Passat? same place as the air box on a C?

MKIII Golf Diesels also have these snorkles... ;) 8)

There's one sat in our carpark at the moment which may have one missing by the time the owner goes home tonight... ;) :twisted:

only beemers and leons in my car park :(

I might just key a couple of them, maybe write the word "snorkel" down the side, that would confuse them :)

Whats the fitting like Bobbywhacker? i'm assume none of the holes match up, is it just a case of grabbing a drill and a fist full of self tappers?

Pardon my ignorance, but what advantage is there in removing the carbon canister? :)

to allow a cold air feed from the wheel arch, when you remove the CC you have a nice hole under the induction cone to allow for the required piping :)

Edit - just spoke to the local scrappy, no Passats, and only 2 golf mkIII's both with very heavy front end damage :(

so no snorkel for the time being :(

'Twas a G-reg possible 1.8l passet that I thieved it from.... the airbox was on the same side as the C's only seemingly higher up.. the snorkel ran from the side of the airbox to the middle-ish of the front x-member in a kinda 'S' shape.....

I could've used some self-tappers, but having many cable ties left from cancelled swingers parties, joke cough, I decided to use them. When I removed the CC I left the pipes in there (blocking up the end of the black 1 with theeee fattest bolt (said in best Swiss Toni voice )) and positioned the cable ties around these.... admittedly I was fully expecting it to rattle like a snake's arse, but because the K'n'N literally sits on it, it keeps it stable. Job done!