Stonejag

VR6 (coilpack) - correct HT lengths?

My HT leads are all too long and I'm getting fed up with the excess flapping in the breeze. Can't seem to find a definitive answer on what lengths they should be, does anyone know?

Cheers :)

Stone

All but cylinder No.1 is shown. No.1 should have been listed as 860mm.

That's why I asked :)

Is cylinder 3 760mm regardless of model?

Stone

Only one listed for No.3, even back in mid 1990's. No1's length seem to have been lost on the electronic versions of the parts list when they were converted to ETKA.

Last question (honest!): Stated lengths are cable only before connectors are added, correct? I know that's what the diagram shows but VW only appear to sell finished leads these days and it would be no more than their average level of perversity if they measured including the connectors :)

Thank you!

Just gone through all my spares...... the lengths are cable length only, end to end.

One exception, number 5 cylinder, both early and late as specified on ETKA, are 20mm longer on the actuals for some reason.

Just a thought if they are being made up from scratch......

Put the plug cap on the spark plug cable end. Fit the spark plug cap into position on the spark plug. Take the cable down the groove as though fitted. Take to the relevant Dizzy Cap or coil pack connection. Cut the spark plug wire on the far edge of the cap or pack connection and then fit the cap's or pack's right angled connection. That way, they are the right length for that plug lead connection.

Top man, thank you. I had thought about doing it that way but I've got a dodgy back and doing them by length means I can make them up on the sofa rather than bent double in the engine bay :)

Unfortunately I only have five plug ends so I have to grab another one before I have a full set - if anybody else is looking at making their own, you can get the correct connector from Just Kampers. The 7mm orange cables came pre-terminated from Vehicle Wiring Products - it's good quality silicone cable so you just slice the end off flat and twist the VW connector on instead of the supplied plug end. The crimped connector on the coilpack end will fit a VW pack but they're straight so I'm swapping them for 90º ends from the old set of leads I had. Much easier than I thought it would be and they'll only owe me £30 or so! :)

[edited to add: JustKampers stock the wrong kind of connector - and what they sent doesn't match their website picture! You can file two slots in it to make it match the VW removal tool but it's not the correct part - you need 021035255E. Get some from VW instead.]

Stone

Edited by Stonejag

i have one lead that it arcing slightly at the sparkplug end. I've removed the outer metal cover but how do you separate the rubber end from the lead, short of slicing through it?

Didn't see this earlier, sorry! You don't remove the metal bit (doing that has probably broken the connector...), you untwist the cable from the screw terminal which is underneath the rubber boot. A good pull will usually do it :)

If you need a new connector I've got a spare - not 100% the right type but if you file two slots out of the 'fins' on the side then the normal VR6-cable-removal tools will grab onto it fine. I have one of them on plug 1 so they work fine :) Remind me of your address and I'll pop it in the post.

Stone

So, can anyone confirm the lead lengths are;

Coilpack;

860mm cylinder 1

740MM cylinder 2

760MM cylinder 3

580MM cylinder 4

620MM cylinder 5

440MM cylinder 6