K Simmonds

Donig a major service on my G60, what's the best source of charger rebuild kits?

I'm going to be rebuilding the charger on my Dutch import G60 fairly soon, I'm trade so phoned up TPS who couldn't help. I've a quick hunt around the net and found that Jabba sport do a rebuild kit for less than 250 Pounds. I'd like to use genuine parts where I can, are there any better options than the Jabba kit?

Doing the cam belt today, which look like it's been on there since new:rolleyes:. The car's only done 65K miles and is supposed to have a FSH from the Dutch dealer that sold it, I'm not impressed by the state of the belt. Should be changed every 70K Miles or Six years IMO.

Also found a Fram oil filer on there yesterday whilst changing the oil!! I don't like them one bit, their rubbish IMO. Stupidly I'd forgotten the G60's requires a slightly diferent oil fitlter to the other Four pot engines so I've had to put a Mann filter for a 2.0 8V on for now. Will get the real deal delived from TPS tomorrow morning and swap it. Sure it won't hurt running the 8V filter for a day, but for the sake of a few quid I'd rather have the exact filter fitted.

Nice one, that looks like a bargain! Where do you source FAG NU202E? Is it a VAG part?

Just noticed my thread has been moved, thanks mods. Sorry for posting in the wrong section, still finding my way around here.

These parts were never supplied by VW as the supercharger was not a service item.

You best bet would be to google or eBay for the bearing

Head over to clubg40 as Pete does rebuild kits for the 40 chargers. The price on the forum will be slightly more for the 60 rebuild kit as the centre bearing is more expensive. He only supplies good quality stuff.

hi - as sam says, been supplying g40 charger service items for a few years now - the same as g60s apart from centre bearing.

I'd say beware cheapo ebay.de service kits - the end bearing is a sh1t composite cage one - as brass caged ones are about £40 more expensive. The oil seals are nitrile - not viton, which are more resiliant (viton are 10x more expensive) and the apex seals are often very hard compound, which means your nice scroll wears, rather than the apex seals.

The stuff i supply is oem bearings (FAG), oem apex seal strips - from the supplier that made them for vw 94 0nwards (these are beige sintimid ones - softer compound stuff) and viton oil seals as i've seen used in PSD/G-werks chargers.

Heres also a photo guide to rebuild - http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5569.0.html

and

http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6789.0.html

and parts

http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2824.0.html

I can supply g60 centre bearings - as sam says, they are quite a bit dearer than g40 stuff

K simmonds, those links should be cool above (as i'm new took time for mods to agree my post) but pm me if you want any more info.

Pete

Fair play for doing the job yourself.

I went with a rebuild from JMR in the end mainly due to time constraints but there was also the fear of dropping a bollock of some sort. VERY impressed by the service, Johns highly knowledgeable and a genuinely sound guy who cares about his customers, would happily recommend him and I'm in the trade myself.

My Corrado is back up and running very happily as of today. Had my charger back fro JMR for over a week but I've been delayed in get her finished due to the oil feed union that locates into the charger itself fracturing around the feed holes upon tightening. I was going very steady with a short 1/4 drive ratchet and 13mm socket when I got that sickening feeling of a thread suddenly stripping, but was relived to find that wasn't the case.

The original fastening must have been over stressed by whoever worked on her previously and in way I'm glad it broke when it did as the thought of it going due to vibration with the engine running doesn't bare thinking about. Nice clean break with no stray shards, phew!!!!

Anyway I rummaged through my various unions and couldn't find one identical, the closest I could find came from a K-jet fuel system and only had Two holes (as opposed to Three) and a slightly smaller center bore. Now, the engineer in me said it'll be fine given how restrictive the feed hose itself is, glad I got a replacement as I could only just blow down my old one going Blue in the face. The return was fine, checked it very carefully, I'm guessing it was replaced when the charger was last off.

Not wanting to leave anything to chance I got on the blower to TPS and ordered what they assured me would be the correct union @ 25 odd quid!!!! With a weeks wait for it to arrive from the fatherland. It turns up on Friday of last week and they'd ordered up the union that screws into the head itself, no use to me!! Get back on the phone again and after giving them the part number from ETKA I find that 'correct' union is in stock and just £2. It arrives this morning and is exactly the same as the K-jet one I so nearly used, just shiny and new. So I phone them up yet again to be assured that part supplied is correct and supercedes the original Three hole union, which in my opinion is quite weak.

You live and learn!!!!

I found blacks for the oil ways which I kept in place during installation to prevent dirt from entering the unit and left the one in the return for initial priming before removing it and feeding at least another 150ml through whilst priming again to be 100% sure. A bit messy but I wanted to be sure I got as much oil in as I could. I used a spotless clear pipe tightly inserted into the feed with a small funnel and let gravity do the rest, worked very well. New oil and filter, double check all fixings, wind over with coil lead off for min, connect coil then fires up straight away as near to silently as possible.

I've only done 20 miles so far and have checked everything over again, all good. Can't wait to get the next 480 out the way!!!