JonnyG60

G60 charger oil

Having a bad bad day...

Noticed some silvery oil spray over the distributor area and found it was spitting out of one of the rsr outlet pipe connections. Taken the pipework apart and its coming from the charger exit. The oil in the oil feed to the charger is clear, as is the oil return more or less. The boost return pipe is quite oily (from breather?) but again is more or less clear.

So it seems oil is clear going into the charger and is coming out via the exit kind of metallic/silvery.

I had this problem before when i first got my G60 so sent the charger off to G-Werks to be part rebuilt in July/August last year. They said it had popped an oil seal and that the metallic oil wasnt caused by anything in the charger, and that its coming from the engine but I can't see how it is when the oil feed is clean oil.

Only re-installed it and had the car back on the road last week though as ive been at university and it was winter etc. And its only done about 240 miles so far - kept under 4000 rpm.

Anyone shed any light on what's going on please? I've waited so long to actually drive the car and it's been perfect until now!

the 'metalic' looking oil may be the kluber grease they put in the displacer when the charger is serviced.

I would keep an eye on it if after the run in period it is still doing it and it looks like engine oil then i would be concerned.

Hi, thanks for the reply!

isnt the kluber grease white? i can see some of it looking through the inlets.

Also no oil should be coming from the exit at all anyway? - Meaning an oil seal has blown again / was never actually repaired (I'm not a huge fan of G-Werks these days!)

Also no oil should be coming from the exit at all anyway? - Meaning an oil seal has blown again / was never actually repaired (I'm not a huge fan of G-Werks these days!)

Oil could come from the boost return pipe also (engine breathing.) Might be worth to take a look in the return pipe before blaming the charger seals.. :)

Oil could come from the boost return pipe also (engine breathing.) Might be worth to take a look in the return pipe before blaming the charger seals.. :)

Optimism - I like it! ha

Yeh the boost return did seem rather oily and the charger end, at the throttle body end it seems to have a very thin layer of silvery oil again. - as if the silver oil has come from charger, through intercooler and into boost return.