joby

Oil temperature switch 16 valve? Which one is it Please

Trying to trace why my oil is getting so hot, Have just checked the ignition timing with a strobe and got that right, so now thinking of replacing the temp switch can anyone point me to which one it is and a part no, would be handy.

Thanks

I have a 16v 2l 9A engine. Dont know whether its the same for a KR engine but suspect it will be. The oil temp sensor for the MFA on my engine is on the back of the cylinder head a couple of inches from the distributor and connected with a green/black wire. Sorry Ive tried looking up the part no but cant find it.

Edited by bmwcompact

Ahh thanks for some reason i thought it was on the oil fiter housing as there are 2 switches there

The 2 on the filter are a low pressure switch ( I think its 0.3 bar ) and a higher pressure switch ( I think its 1.8 bar ). So if you have an oil pump failure they tell you at start up or once you're on the move that theres a problem. For example if you disconnect the higher pressure one (on my car its nearest the block) and set off, then once your engine revs rise, on my car I get an audible and visual indication of an oil problem (ie if theres no indication of the correct oil pressure). By the way over time these may develop a leak (out of the spade connector). I replaced one on my Mk 2 Golf gti and Ive just replaced one on my Corrado.

The 2 on the filter are a low pressure switch ( I think its 0.3 bar ) and a higher pressure switch ( I think its 1.8 bar ). So if you have an oil pump failure they tell you at start up or once you're on the move that theres a problem. For example if you disconnect the higher pressure one (on my car its nearest the block) and set off, then once your engine revs rise, on my car I get an audible and visual indication of an oil problem (ie if theres no indication of the correct oil pressure). By the way over time these may develop a leak (out of the spade connector). I replaced one on my Mk 2 Golf gti and Ive just replaced one on my Corrado.

Thanks, funny you should say about the leak from the spade connector as mine has just started, Thanks for clearing that up i will look into ordering the switch both of them now i think