Sign in to follow this  
BlueVR6

ABS Trouble !!!!

Hi

On Saturday my dreaded ABS light came on, wondering if anyone has any ideas.

What happened was I was power washing my car on Saturday with my power washer, car was looking proper bo. Then went for a drive that night and went over a nasty pothole and the light came on. Stopped the car started it again and it cleared and the light was off until I hit another pothole.

The light is on all the time just now and was wondering if it could be as simple as being a dodgy connection at one of the wheel sensors? The other thing I noticed this morning was when I had been driving for about 1 min a weird ticky, rumbley vibrating noise came from the brake pedal area in the engine bay, could this also be related?

Cheers

Went and got my ABS checked out today and found out its the front drivers side speed sensor.

What i want to know is how much is a new one and how easy is it to do myself?

Cheers

ATE n/a 417440100 FRONT RIGHT ABS SENSOR GOLF3/4 ALL MODELS RHF From 50M-035001 £32.95

8)

It's a bit of a ball ache to get the old ones off and involves undoing the bolt that holds it on and then smashing 7 colours outta it to get it out of the hub...

IIRC you have to remove the wheel and disk so that you can see what you're doing and get some room to swing at it... be VERY careful not to hit the slotted rotor in front of the sensor else you'll have to replace that too... :|

It's not difficult, but you do need to be careful not to damage anything else...

8)

that's 'cos I'm getting to the point of thinking I should write one! :|

I really am getting to the stage where I reckon I've undone and re-tightened just about 90% of the nuts and bolts on my car now, and replaced about 75% of the bits that move and wear out.... :?

Sorry for the Off-topic Blue....

I reckon we could write a best-seller between us.

Haynes type manual that covers the important C stuff like Sunroofs, door handles and all the other crap we have to contend with!

Photo guides ala Mr Haywire 8)

The 'Haywire' Manual... would be VR6 only tho...

On the subjest of ABS sensors I had my right front one changed whilst down at Stealth today, as the intermittent fault turned into a constant one! - they are woth cleaning first but eventually just need replacing...

Not too difficult but the original ones are metal cased (the new Hella one was ABS, no pun intended, plastic) and need some persuasion to get out after years of getting hit by road dirt etc, they had to take the caliper and disc off to get at mine, useful tools are a hacksaw, molegrips, and a screwdriver/hammer to use as a chisell and some emery cloth to clean the guide ready for the new one. Maybe worth checking your rotors for distortion (could be the ticking noise) and rust etc, one of mine is slighly distorted but appears to work fine, these would have to be changed with the wheels bearing.

cheers for the new replies.

Maybe worth checking your rotors for distortion (could be the ticking noise) and rust etc, one of mine is slighly distorted but appears to work fine, these would have to be changed with the wheels bearing.

The garage did say that my wheel bearing was fcuked as well, so I guess I should replace the lot. Is this going to cost me an arm and a leg and how easy is it to change the bearing myself? as ive not got much cash at the moment to spend as im getting a new flat.

Ah the joys of corrado ownership!

:roll:

you need a somewhat serious hydraulic press to do the front wheel bearings... they need to be pressed out and then the new ones need to be pressed in... Not difficult, but you can't do it without a press...

Bearings aren't too dear, and the labour shouldn't be too much, 3 hours to do both sides top, but then you'll need the tracking doing afterwards... :|

but then you'll need the tracking doing afterwards

I am not an expert on this but there is a way of changing the front bearing without having to get it retracked (certainly on the VR anyway)- something to do with taking the whole strut off. Its just mine went in for a front bearing and I searched thru old posts about it and a few people mentioned it there :wink:

Mike

yeah, you can do it that way, but some of the presses that garages have aren't big enough to get the whole thing into to press the bearing out/in with the strut in the way... :|

Ian Birch did do one on my Passat a few years ago. Thats's prolly the post Ice White Socks is refering to. He knocked the old one out with a hammer and pressed the new one in with the largest vice I have seen outside NASA!

It is still going after 5 years so I'd say the method works ok.

No tracking also saves 50 quid or so.

Gavin