lmurray

VW Corrado starting problems

I own a VW Corrado Storm and I can't seem to start it. It turns over and runs for about a second then cuts out. RAC seem to think its a corrupt chip in the key (not original key for car). Has anyone any ideas/similar experiences that may help??

Thanks

right its either the factory immobilser or a fuse.......mine was playing up too just after xmas and turned out to be a blown fuse and a few relays had also worked loose

right its either the factory immobilser or a fuse.......mine was playing up too just after xmas and turned out to be a blown fuse and a few relays had also worked loose

Sorry for my ignorance but where was the fuse? Thank u so much for your help.

just check them all?

thats a good idea anyways, as you might have some that have blown without you noticing.

Dunno which fuse in particaular would cause this though, although everything seems to be controlled through fuse 14 ;)

Ok thats interesting.

I am a female Corrado owner hence my ignorance but where is the fuse box? Thanks very much

sit in the drivers seat, there is a shelf (cubby hole) under the steering wheel, its divided into two, with the smaller section being on the right, this can be removed (use a screw driver) and the fuse box is behind it

BTW, the relays are also in there, they are above the fuses, so you'll need to get right under the wheel to see.

The tray (shelf/cubby hole) is removed by undoing 2 plastic square things under it.

I was joking about fuse 14, its just we have discovered that fuse 14 controls the Heated Mirrors, Wash Jets, Heated Heats, Reverse Light, Windows etc etc.

Have you thought that it may also be an ignition switch problem? This is VERY common on corrados/VWs, They are 20 quid from the stealer, but involve a fair bit of work to fix, ie removing the driving seat and steering wheel.

I'd stick to the fuses first ;)

Have you thought that it may also be an ignition switch problem? This is VERY common on corrados/VWs, They are 20 quid from the stealer, but involve a fair bit of work to fix, ie removing the driving seat and steering wheel.

Yeah could be the switch but you don't have to remove either the seat of the wheel to replace it!!

Yeah could be the switch but you don't have to remove either the seat of the wheel to replace it!!

It is A LOT easier and more comfortable if you do take the seat out though... :wink:

Instructions on how to change the switch are HERE

I was using henny's instructions, so that why the seats coming out, I trust him :)

['H3R4POR]I was using henny's instructions' date=' so that why the seats coming out, I trust him :)[/quote']

:oops: ooh, I've gone all embarrassed now... :D 8)

Don't foget the pillow when you do it, else your back will never forgive you! ;)

yeah, I have remembered the pillow, after you made a very good arguement for it, if you can just sort the weather, making it sunny on saturday, that would be great mate ;)

Kazzaaaammm!!!

There, see what it's like on Saturday now... ;) :lol:

I had this - changed the ign switch yesterday. Bingo - I am not that big so managed to do it with the seat in and I used a very long and thin stanley screwdriver to wip the screw off. With the right tool - it takes not time at all.

:)

It is A LOT easier and more comfortable if you do take the seat out though... :wink:

Seriously? I did mine and supercharged's switches in an hour. The seat getting in the way didn't even occur to me......because it didn't get in the way at all!!

maybe Nick_Micouris should tell me his secret then?

Then I can use the sun shine Henny is providing on saturday to sit in a pub beer garden :D

I did everything but taking the seat out. Obviously removed the steering cowling and clipped off the cable ties for the stork and steering wheel loom - allowing improved access and visibility. The got a very long shafted (to avoid handle getting in the way) and thin (3MM) screwdriver - I used a flat head but a cross head would be better as the screw is a Philips type. At first I couldn't see the screw but I closed one eye and I could focus better (that may just be a prob with my eyes tho!) lol :oops:

I must put my hands up and admit that I already had the seats out of my car when I wrote that "how to", so it may be quite possible to do it with the seat in.... I am 6'1" though and was 15 stone 8 at the time I wrote it and I thought it would be a bit of a squeeze with the chair in... Although now I'm only 13 stone, I'd probably fit in there easily... :)

Oh, and I squinted to see the screw too! ;)

I'm 6'2, so its either that, or laying across the drive/car park :roll:

I could just open the sun roof and stick my feet out there :p

I am a bit of a midget! 5'7"! So can get into tight spaces!

but you'll never make it as a shelf stacker..............oh :(

I know no one has posted on here for a while but here goes. I have a 1995 2 litre 16v which has the same problem, starts first time but after a second starts missing then dies, happens 4 or 5 times but doesnt have a chipped key/immobilser. If my baby has been running its fine, it only happens whens shes been left

Any ideas???? Fuel pressure or 5th injector or what??