Sign in to follow this  
dubboy

Light Clutch??

Recently brought my G60 and have been wondering why there dosn't seem to be much of a bitting point. Only need to lift the clutch a fraction for gear changes, so not great for smooth shifts. :(

Is it on the way out? or just been to used to the heavy clutch on my old MK1 Cab?

It's only when they get heavy you need to change it out. The bite always was a bit vague due to the hydraulic action but a good clutch should start biting at the bottom of the pedal travel. If it bites quite high up the pedal, it's gone beyond it's half-worn point and replacement should be considered, but it won't slip, just give notchy changes.

Kev

Also keep an eye on the fluid level and visually check for leaks, I have recently had to get a new slave cylynder for my g60 - i knew something was wrong as it was biting really low (it got so bad that i had to take the mat out to change gear, then it started to leak so i knew what was wrong)

Also if you do need a new clutch, do NOT get it fitted by Mr Clutch (as the previuos owner did on mine - long story) as you dont save much anyway!

if you need a new clutch you can upgrade to a VR6 clutch for alittle extra cash. I did it just recently. it bolts right up no prob and gives you little better clutch without the cost of a high proformance clutch.;)

if the clutch needs to be pressed to floor to operate and only lifted a bit to bite it means that a component is on its way out.

ive done a slave cylinder as mine isnt good at the moment. the push rod dropped out.

the master is a dead'n too.

basically the more the pedal has to be pushed the more fluid has to be moved to make the clutch operate or there is a leak either internally in the clyinders(like i have) or a fluid leak which is easy to spot.

mine bites on its own at the moment after bout 10 secs as the fluid seeps back past the master. pedal sticks too.

bleeding the system is one of the most important things n can be a pain to do. keep the ressy on the brake servo full so no air can get past/in.

both parts tend to fail at the same time. think this may be due to replacing one puts stress on the other as does new fluid. im replacing the master in a week or 2 when i can get the funds. had enough of p[edal dropping n sticking to floor.

cheers guys, sorry for the late reply can only get online at work at the moment and been off ill, so again cheers will look into those.