skid

VR6 wont start after first long run. NOW Fixed!

The built-in immobiliser problem is pretty easy to detect as the symptoms are always the same. The car will start and run as normal, for about 1-2 seconds and then just cut out. The trick that Chris has posted on page 2 about how to clean it with WD40 is all you need. If you are getting the above behaviour, it is definitely the immobiliser causing your problems!

You can't swap the key because it contains a small encoded chip to the immobiliser. But I suggest you check the chip has not fallen out of the key fob plastic body, if the body is damaged.

It looks like this, the little rectangular object in the plastic body, top right.

If lost, you are stuffed as unless you have a spare key with the chip, you will need to get new keys encrypted to you Corrado's immobilser at the dealers.

It's a good idea to get a spare key if you haven't already - mine took the locksmith around 5 minutes cutting the physical key and 20 minutes of rummaging in his box of transponder chips to find one that matched the code :D Cost around £25, well worth it!

Stone

Did VCDS check this morning this is what came up

12 Faults Found:

01257 - Idling Speed Stabilization Valve (N71)

31-10 - Open or Short to Ground - Intermittent

01250 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 2 (N31)

01252 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 4 (N33)

01249 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 1 (N30)

01253 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 5 (N83)

01251 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 3 (N32)

01254 - Fuel Injector for Cylinder 6 (N84)

17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer

P1570 - 35-00 -

00527 - Intake Manifold Temperature Sensor (G72)

30-10 - Open or Short to Plus - Intermittent

00522 - Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor (G62)

00518 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69)

00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

03-00 - No Signal

Readiness: N/A

Regarding the immobiliser, i cleaned,wd40 etc every joint i came across.

What now guys?????????

Best to erase all the faults and start the engine... Then when it cuts out read the faults again.

Looks like youve unpluged the big connector of the engine with the ignition on thats why all the faults

P1570 - 35-00 -

That's the key one. VW's immobliser is not working correctly. Did you disconnect the ignition barrel sensor's connector at the immobiliser. It must be disconnected bfore you spray WD40 on it.

Best to erase all the faults and start the engine... Then when it cuts out read the faults again.

Looks like youve unpluged the big connector of the engine with the ignition on thats why all the faults

The problem is the Engine wont start and run, this is why i am doing this.

Unfortunately i did have the multi plug disconnected when i did the first Vagcom.......DOH!

But i did clear all the fualts then re scanned it, Above is what i got.

Strange things is it was only vag commed last month and ISV and other sensors were replaced cleaned etc.

---------- Post added at 6:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:04 PM ----------

P1570 - 35-00 -

That's the key one. VW's immobliser is not working correctly. Did you disconnect the ignition barrel sensor's connector at the immobiliser. It must be disconnected bfore you spray WD40 on it.

Yes it was disconnected before i did this.

What now ?

---------- Post added at 6:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:07 PM ----------

Sunday evening, just done a scan again.

Managed to clear other faults then tried to start the car 3 times then did a re scan and results below.

2 Faults Found:

P1570 - 35-00 -

00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

03-00 - No Signal

Readiness: N/A

Any more advice regarding this Immobiliser??

Well your problem is 100% immobiliser. I dont have any experience with such old system.

But maybe rw1 knows about it. Go into the immobiliser module on vagcom and read the meassurement blocks.... Theres goin to be one thats the start authorisation. Move the wires around and see if it makes any difference. Rw1 should know more about this I would think :rolleyes:

Two last things before it gets more difficult.

Take off the top steering cowl.

1) Locate the ring shaped sensor round the ignition barrel. Get it closer to the plastic key body and turn the ignition to start.

If not that....

2) Take off the ring shaped sensor altogether and disconnect it from the immobiliser box inside the dash. Substistute another one and try starting again.

If both fail, you will need to look at a replacement immobiliser box, matching up to the engine ECU with VCDS. Ross-Tech explains http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer_I_Immobilizer_Swapping_(Separate)

Edited by RW1

Thanks RW1.

Is it the key and coil sensor thats matched or the key and immobiliser box?

What do you think has failed esp since it was running beforehand.

Does the immobiliser box fail through time?

The key sensor isn't matched. Thats why I suggest it as its easier.

Immobiliser boxes are pretty robust so I don't think its that......

Needs an expert on it at the Corrado after you tested the sensor proximity and change the sensor & cable.

Just check all the fuses are OK..... just in case.

[quote=RW1;855097

Needs an expert on it at the Corrado after you tested the sensor proximity and change the sensor & cable.

Could you translate that ?

Sensor promity is the igntion barrel ring sensor and change the cable & ring sensor for another one as written peviously.

In other words you have a difficult problem if the above doesn't work and need someone who knows what they are doing to solve it at the car.

does anyone have any pics of the connector that could do with a clean? Mine suffers from this randomly so would like to tackle the prob.......

Here one I prepared earlier......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]61077[/ATTACH]

Sensor promity is the igntion barrel ring sensor and change the cable & ring sensor for another one as written peviously.

In other words you have a difficult problem if the above doesn't work and need someone who knows what they are doing to solve it at the car.

Found this on this forum during my search to sort out my problems.

Couple of pics down the page which show the sensor barrel ring and the box behind the dash it plugs into.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?64005-Immobiliser-Problem

---------- Post added at 9:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 9:15 PM ----------

Is the sensor rings still available from VW?

Was all corrados fitted with this set up?

I wonder if my 91 G60 might have this so i can try it?

Any experts in this near Aberdeen.......if so please help me.

Edited by skid
double post.

I believe the cheapest way will be sending ecu to somebody who can remove mobilizer for you. I know it's not the best resolution in your case but might work for you.

Is the sensor rings still available from VW?

Was all corrados fitted with this set up?

I wonder if my 91 G60 might have this so i can try it?

No, it was only fitted to Corrado's from October 1994 onwards.

Any VW 1995 onwards to about 1999 with have the sensor fitted, maybe worth going to see a scrap VW.

Or

Yaaaaaaaaaa problem now fixed.

After great discussions with mate, and already to start reprogramming the ecu,immobiliser today to accept the key etc.

I couldnt get a signal on VAGcom for the Instriments or the immobiliser so checked the fuses and hey presto NO 16 instrument cluster fuse was gone, replaced that and just tried the car and it kicked into life.

Cleared all the previous fault codes and rechecked and everything was all clear.

I just want to thank everyone who posted advice on this matter, everything was much appreciated.

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 AM ----------

The key sensor isn't matched. Thats why I suggest it as its easier.

Immobiliser boxes are pretty robust so I don't think its that......

Just check all the fuses are OK..... just in case.

Many thanks :)

Glad you fixed it and it just goes to show when fault finding check the basic stuff first!

Funny even the break down mechanic nor the AA mechanic even thought of doing that.

Every day is a school day .....and yet another school boy error...lol.