Sign in to follow this  
skygrowler

auto gearbox

anyone know about auto boxes mine has decided it doesnt like changing up to 4th .

ATF looks pretty crap ! how should it look ?

is it worth changing it ?

Auto fluid should be changed every 20k so maybe worth a try if it hasn't been done recently but if its not going into 4th at all then it probably won't fix the problem... how high do the revs go in 3rd?

it will go in sometimes but of course not until you hit the redlinein 3rd which makes it a little bit tricky.

it seems to be stuck in sport mode as it is holding high revs all thru the box and also the revs rise between gears as though it is in neutral.

any ideas on the method of changing the fluid i dont even know where the drain/refill points are.

cheersl

local garage will check it out on computer .

but he said if the fluid smells burnt the box is breaking up inside , i think it does smell burnt .

anyone out there heard this or is it just the fluid knackered making it smell.

i dont wanna get ripped , my missus has got that look on her face

i see a new auto box on ebay. whats it worth and where do i find the code number on the old box apparently it fits a CFF type.

how much would be a reasonable quote for fitting an auto box if i get it . if it needs it hope not.

the love affair could be over :(

You might want to check the kick-down cable adjustment, or is it fully electronic? I don't know anything about VW autos!!

Might be the torque converter, what's the acceleration like in the gears available to you? If the acceleration is still good then the torque converter blades aren't bent, something easily done when holding the revs at 3000 in neutral and then flicking to D or 1 and flooring it :lol:

K

*mod edit - Deleted Triple post for you! - Henny*

scan is giving codes 00652 transmission shift range controller gear 3 incorrect ratio and 00660 kick down switch / throttle position sensor .

does anyone know what it means or should i just go for a new gearbox £1200 + fitting

Hell no...the mechanicals are fine if it still pulls as normal. If you had a really serious mechanical failure with an Auto you'd know. It would normally just rev like mad and not move anywhere, or very slowly.

Replace the parts as per the codes and take it from there. I would imagine the shift controller is quite expensive the TPS and KD switch won't be much. TPSs are £35 last time I got one.

If you can manually select 1st to 4th and reverse, then it's the combination of those electrical parts that's the problem.

K

it does rev sometimes between the gears but all can be selected it is difficult to say but if you select 3rd it seems to drive okay, but it definitely seems like a clutch slipping and thats what the garage say 4th gear clutch gone

unfortunately i think i will be scrapping the car

It's the 'brain' that collates all the inputs from the various other sensors and shifts gears accordingly.

Just looked in the Bentley and it's not on the gearbox, so you won't need to remove it to replace the brain. Try following the wiring loom that comes through the floor under the gear lever and see where it terminates.

You should get a Bentley as there is a massive section in there covering the auto.

K

it does rev sometimes between the gears but all can be selected it is difficult to say but if you select 3rd it seems to drive okay, but it definitely seems like a clutch slipping and thats what the garage say 4th gear clutch gone

unfortunately i think i will be scrapping the car

Hmmm. I don't know enough about Autos to say...... sounds drastic.

Thought about doing a manual conversion? Or have you only got an Auto license?

dunno about a bentley running a corrado is costing enough !

vw do a box for 1200 the garage say a rebuild is 1200 . there is a box on ebay im thinking about is it a big job to remove and refit . i think it may be as expensive to convert to manual anyone know.

as to auto only licence they didnt do them when i passed my test ! :wink:

To convert to manual you will need the gearbox, manual box mount and support bracket, clutch, pedal box, shift cables, ECU, Gear lever and associated selector mechanicals, gear surround and one or two other things. Most of that can come from a scrappy. £200ish for the box, £90 for a new clutch, £100ish for an ECU and the rest shouldn't be much. It will be less than £1200!

Would be a shame to scrap it :cry:

K

yeah i know but it has done 180000miles although it is in good nick and the motor is excellent i will be sad to see it go but i cannot get a definitive answer and i know if i put it in a garage they will rip me off you know chasing after the fault and charging me to learn !, so i will probably see if i can sell it as it is.

i am leaning towards changing the sensors but i dont want to start something that becomes very expensive.

i will take it somewhere today and see if they can give me an answer