Jim Bowen

Quick question about preparing for welding

Got a mate coming to weld my sill this weekend.

Its the drivers side and right at the bottom front corner.

The battery has been removed, but is there anything else i should do? Does the ABS ecu need disconnecting? Was probably going to pull the carpet up inside the car just in case.

Do all of the above.

Cover as much of the surrounding area that isn't being welded to avoid any stray splashes

tend not to worry about anything else after removing battery. Just as above be ready for fire from carpet and bits left behind. The main thing is not to try and weld too much at once, stop and let the heat disapate or it may end up warping the metal and once that happens you have had it as its a real bugger to get that gone. If its underneath the warp does not matter but up the side its a bugger. a load of old sheets if you have to work with the door open as the spats will destroy the seats. Expect some smoke from the underseal in the cavity too as it heats up

luckily its all underneath the car/sill and all going to be covered up with underseal again.

do i just disconnect any wires from the ABS or does it not matter?

Got a mate coming to weld my sill this weekend.

Its the drivers side and right at the bottom front corner.

The battery has been removed, but is there anything else i should do? Does the ABS ecu need disconnecting? Was probably going to pull the carpet up inside the car just in case.

Got any pics of your rust?? does your mate want to do mine for cash :)

Will show some piccys of repair once its done, my laptop has been taken over by a virus so having trouble getting all my photos etc.

SO anyone know if i should do anything with the ABS system?

Well technically it is a short circuit between the welder and the car body, so pulling the ABS and Engine ECU plugs won't hurt for peace of mind.