Sign in to follow this  
dtjames

Tracking

Just had 3 lovely new tyres fitted to my car, and asked the garage to do 4 wheel tracking whils I was there.

They found the tracking to be MILES out, hence the uneven tyre wear on my old set.

PROBLEM:

They could not adjust the tracking due to seized nuts - they showed me!

The mechanic said that he would have to use heat to move the nuts which would damage the "ball joint". New track-rod-ends - £30/side fitted.

Does this seem reasonable to everyone else please?

It's pretty normal for them to have to use blow torches to heat and therefore release the track rod ends. AFAIK there's no real need to replace them as a result.

It makes the seal nice and tight when you've heated the track rod end and loaded up the nut, then allow it to cool.

Of course, you could have an extreme case, but I'd say whack the blow torch on it and see if they can't loosen it up. Should be fine.

I already ordered the new parts with them, but hoped someone could cofirm what I thought was a reasonable price.

yeah, the nuts can be prone to seizing up and sometimes need some serious heat to get 'em to shift... this heat is normally provided via an oxy-acetelene torch which can melt the rubber parts of the track rod end resulting in needing a new one... :|

The only thing that you should be wary of is that you are only supposed to adjust the tracking on one side of the Corrado. The other side is fixed for length at the factory and should not be adjusted! Saves you £30 'cos you won't need a track rod end on that side! ;) :lol:

Ah - I see.

actually, he said that the parts were of differing lengths. Which end should be the adjusting end?

in my opinion your best off changing the track rod, rods, as i had the tracking adjusted on my old mk2 golf which ive since sold to my brother, they used a lot of heat and a few months down the line the rack was damaged due to oil leaking out of the steering rack gaiters, this was on a relativley low mileage car, i cant help thinking that when the rods were heated to undo the tie rod ends for adjustment, this damaged the seals, just took a bit of use for the fault to show up,, :roll:

a few months down the line the rack was damaged due to oil leaking out of the steering rack gaiters

Maybe if they'd gone completely OTT, yeah, but otherwise I'd honestly have assumed this was a coincidence.

VW track rod ends come with track rods attached and were £70 each last time I looked..

Ah - I see.

actually, he said that the parts were of differing lengths. Which end should be the adjusting end?

Pleeaassseee can someone answer if they know - I need to confirm the parts.

I already ordered the new parts with them, but hoped someone could cofirm what I thought was a reasonable price.

Yeah, the price is fine, I changed my drivers side one last month and it was a b1tch of a job... I got the complete rod from GSF for about £17 but it only had 2 sides to tighten up (32mm spanner) and the only way to tighten with the steering rack and engine still on the car is between the wishbone and subframe moving the rack to where it needs to be - I'm still not completly happy that i couldn't get the last turn on it to tighten it up so Stealth are going to do it taking the wishbone off when they fit my Koni kit.