Trev16v

WTD: Front floor pan "connecting plate" sections

I have a Golf G60 Syncro. I wish to replace the "connecting plate" sections (as they're called in ETKA) that are situated on the left / right of the car immediately beneath the bulkhead. On the Golf G60, the panels used are the same as those used on the Corrado; they're different to those used on the standard Golf MK2.

When you look underneath the Corrado right at the front of the sill on either side and at the bottom of the A-pillar / bulkhead, you'll be familiar with an area of the floor that is pressed into quite a complicated shape. It's the area that people (unfortunately) commonly jack under and hence it often gets crushed out of shape, because it's not very strong and forms a cavity behind it. This part spans from the front 6" or so of the sill, and stops just before the structural box-section that runs beneath the floor sheet on either side.

Here's a diagram that shows the component:

vw1_014100076.gif

The component is items 8 and 9 in that diagram (left and right, respectively). These are obsolete from the maindealer now, and were stupidly expensive when they were available (considering it's just a 12" square bit of pressed metal).

What I will also do later on (when wife / baby / time permit!) is take a proper photograph of the area in question on my G60 Syncro, where I can show clearly where the seams are and where the piece is spot-welded in.

The side I think I will definitely remove and replace (or repair) is the right-hand side piece (passenger side on a RHD car).

What I'm looking for is someone who is breaking a Corrado and scrapping the shell, who can confirm that these areas are in very good condition (the right-hand piece more importantly) with no or little crush damage and nothing more than the slightest bit of surface rust along any seams, and is prepared to chop the areas out with an angle grinder so that I can then remove them properly by drilling the spot welds (or perhaps the seller might be prepared to remove them by drilling the spot welds for me - I am happy either way). Or, if the car isn't located across the country then I could perhaps pop over and do it.

I'm located in Oxfordshire and work over in Gloucestershire.

Any help getting these cut out from a scrap shell would be extremely appreciated and I'll stump up generously in return! One thing I would need to ask beforehand is if the seller would be prepared to scrape a bit of underseal back quickly to just check that the areas are in good condition, and perhaps take some pictures for me before I travel. The areas on my G60 looked very good until I stripped the underseal.

Cheers,

Trev

Edited by Trev16v

Got a shell in South Glos (Thornbury). Will have a look next time I'm over there. Wouldn't want to cut it myself though ;)

Hi mate,

That's awesome. When do you think you'd be able to look for me? As I'm tempted to tackle this over the jubilee week.

I'd happily PayPal beer money to you upfront for the hassle of getting there and doing pictures.

Trev

Edited by Trev16v

Failing the above, I have a shell that I am cutting up at the moment, I have some pictures aswell. let me know if CazzaVR can't help and i'll forward them on.

Matt

Hi Matt, that's awesome. Could I trouble you also for the images you have please? These metal floor pieces are commonly mangled so it may work out beneficial to get several to work with.

Here are some pictures of the panel concerned.

First of all, right side of car. This is the one that I want to replace. I realise it's not that bad at all anyway, but I have had to cut a couple of inches of rust out to form the large hole that can be seen, so I would rather just remove the panel and then refit a decent one. Also, the metal has quite thinned from surface rust - it only looks clean because I sandblasted it. If it comes to it, I'll re-use the same panel but repair it nicely on the bench with the TIG welder. I just don't fancy doing any nasty upside-down welding on this car.

DSC05177.jpg

DSC05179.jpg

The left side of the car. This panel is okay in terms of not being rusty, but some tool has really jacked on it in the past and really crushed it in. I might try to just hammer it back into shape, or again, replace it.

DSC05184.jpg

These panels, where they're "corrugated", form the underside skin of the sill. It's particularly important that replacements are very clean around the area where mine has gone.

Chaps - once again many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Also if it's any help to you Matt if you're prepared to cut the panels out, I could indicate on one of the pictures where the seams are if you like, though they're probably reasonably clear.

Here's a couple of pictures of the bits I have. looking at the rust, it only seems to be light surface as it scrapes off easily.

Matt

Hi Matt, many thanks for taking those images for me. It's much appreciated. To be honest, looking at them I'm quite concerned about the amount of surface rust that has managed to creep in. I have a feeling those panels may turn out to be a bit too thin in places. I gave it some thought and in the end I have bitten the bullet and ordered brand new (and stupidly expensive) panel for the one side from VW Classic Parts in Germany.

With that said, I am still on the lookout for a decent pair of salvaged panels as a backup, in case this one doesn't materialise from Germany. CazzaVR, did you have any joy in looking at yours for me please? I'd still be tempted to come and cut them out if they're in good nick.

Trev