guildmage

LucasRado - 2.0 16V - clutch slipping

Hi Lukasz,

Following on from James153 I would suspect the throttle body potentiometer (its underneath the throttle body on the end of the spindle). It caused an intermittent problem not unlike yours on my 9A. Its actually 2 switches in one. It tells the ECU when the throttle is closed and when wide open.

On a 9A 2.0 16v the throttle body has a 3 pin connector for the potentiometer. Pin 2 being the earth and 1 & 3 are Closed and Wide open switch feeds respectively.

If you wish to check if yours is working, carry out the following tests:

pin condition resistance

1&2 Throttle closed Zero

1&2 Throttle Slightly open Infinity

2&3 Throttle closed Infinity

2&3 Throttle fully open Zero

If you're getting anything else you have a faulty switch. Mine tested OK but then thats the nature of intermittent problems.

A new pot is expensive (120/140). No-one sells them used: you have to buy a throttle body complete with the pot-and make sure you confirm its present and working OK. You may find one for £20/30. Note that the system is different for the 1.8 KR engine -it has micro switches so dont get a throttle body from a KR)

Fitting a used throttle body cured my intermittent problem. Thats no guarantee it will cure yours: there may be some other issue?????

I would certainly check there are no vacuum leaks first-that costs nothing.

Tonight after work, car started fine and no real problems on my journey back home... but something is not right so will keep digging. I really appreciate all the help guys.

I'm studying the Hayness manual for Passat 1988 to 1991 which covers 9A engine. I will be taking car to the garage on Friday/Saturday, but at least now I can point and/or explain my problem in more details rather than "idle issue".

I've also checked for vacuum leaks - but as far as I can say all hoses look good, thought it's hard to be 100% sure. Haynes says even small split or crack can screw up the engine normal operation... there are so many hoses in awkward locations :scratch:

Does your car run rich? (strong petrol smell)

Could be a dirty/dodgy connection. Mine was intermittent and it turned out to be a crusty oxygen sensor plug connection. Cleaned it and I've had stress free motoring ever since.

I know how irritating intermittent problems can be, hope you find it soon.

elliott

Time for some long postponed updates.

My problem with idle is completely gone. It was in the end the ISV. Cannot explain why after replacing ISV this issue appeared once... but only once. I've just done over 2000 miles of daily motoring and it's been all fine. Idle is perfect, no issues with starting the car regardless of engine warm or cold, so it's all good news for me.

Also finally replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder in a final bid to get rid of the "sticky" clutch pedal. It's worked it's magic and another problem is no more. Part was ordered from German VW and was not cheap (£140), but it's OK now and well that's what counts.

Another small thing (thanks to Kip) I have rear speakers working too. I know little thing but it's also fixed so why not be happy about it.

I've also done full service on my car today and it's ready for Stanford Hall. Only thing that was picked on today's service was center part of my exhaust is blowing a little. I booked my car again for Friday to get it fixed just before the trip.

Good stuff buddy, always nice to get a few niggles fixed :-)

Thanks guys.

Just wanted to let the world know that my car hit this on the way back from Stanford Hall:

clocks.jpg

Temps look good, MPG looks also good, car drives good, doing 70 and making photos not so good...but couldn't miss 130k photo could I? :)

******* wanna-be-Beckham neighbour strikes back! Was watching GP qualification and then bang, I heard broken glass. Looked through the window and saw little brat running away. He kicked the ball, hit the mirror and glass fell off, obviously smashing to bits. As much as I can see no damage to assembly just the glass so ordered one from ebay - that's not a problem.

I went to his house and approached his parents. Told them (maybe too much) but don't give a **** anymore. Perfectly nice bank holiday weekend ruined by little faker.

Now then, question time... Can I drive without drivers side mirror? I mean, we planned to go to Knaresborough tomorrow (it's not far - 15miles miles one way, that's all) but can I get done by police if they saw me without a mirror glass? I know it's unsafe but can I get a ticket or what my defense is if anything? Or better not risk it and don't drive at all, until Wednesday?

What rubbish parents they are :/

It's not legal to drive without a driver's side wing mirror - it's the only mirror that must be present. Whether or not you'd be noticed is another matter...

I hit a bit of a milestone myself on the way back from Stealth the day after Stanford: 123456 miles :)

Two new mirror glass arrived for both sides so time to get it fitted... Was toying with idea of re-using original backing plate. So below is what I managed to do...

Popped the mirror (it's easy when you tilt it as much up or down as possible then use thick ruler or kitchen spatula)

IMG_1163.JPG

Then bend the pins on new mirror - kind of self explanatory

IMG_1166.JPG

Here you can see fitted new mirror into original backing plate. I had to make two new holes for the pins. It fits perfectly. Driver side was a bit of fiddly but passenger side was a dream. I think these ebay mirrors are slightly different size or maybe VW backing plate was 0.5mm smaller (it's not an issue thought).

Also it's possible to remove original mirror from backing plate without damaging it.. just take your time and long thin knife. I was surprised how flexible that backing plate was, even after so many years it flexes as new. So need to be super gentle there.

IMG_1174.JPG

... and fitted to my car. Easy job. As usual I took my time, cleaned everything and was taking pictures so took me maybe an hour - but can be done in 30 mins easily.

IMG_1176.JPG

Well, all working fine now. It's a very easy job even for people with two left hands. So if your mirrors need replacing ebay's your friend.

ps. Also thanks to people who posted their attempts at replacing mirrors before (Leon263, Billcor and others).

Can't you report the family to the council or something? It's ridiculous you have to keep putting up with this! You should keep recording all incidents of damage to your car and submit it to the council as I think it's gone beyond being acceptable.

Took her for MOT today and it's a PASS :) Only 2 advisories: Steering column top bearing slightly worn and play in steering rack inner joint.

I've done 6k miles since last MOT and enjoyed every mile of it. Let's hope it will stay like that for another year ... and beyond :)

Came back from my 2 weeks holidays tried to start my car and no power left at all. To get a new battery was on my to do list for far too long. In the end got myself a Bosch Silver S5 075 and car is happy again :)

One thing I noticed was that my right headlight have far more light output to my left headlight? Any ideas? It was raining tonight and decided to leave it till tomorrow but I'm curious what could be behind it? I do run uprated loom but is a cheap one with only one fuse.

ps. Jim I'm saving up to move to my new house soon (well I hope so... so will cope with neighbours as is meanwhile).

Good stuff :) Regarding the headlight I guess it could be any number of things. As a quick test maybe worth swapping the bulbs around and seeing if the higher output moves to the other side, in which case just a new pair of bulbs would do the trick. Otherwise it's possible the reflector in one unit might be in worse condition perhaps so giving worse light output?

like Jim says, you should just about be able to see any discolouration of the reflector by looking through the glass at various angles, tends to go nearest the bulb where it gets hottest.

Bulbs also go off, so swapping them side to side may narrow down the problem, but I bet there's been some water ingress and corrosion on the connectors added with the aftermarket loom, have a good look at those.

like Jim says, you should just about be able to see any discolouration of the reflector by looking through the glass at various angles, tends to go nearest the bulb where it gets hottest.

Bulbs also go off, so swapping them side to side may narrow down the problem, but I bet there's been some water ingress and corrosion on the connectors added with the aftermarket loom, have a good look at those.

I was wondering if it was more likely to be some kind of wiring issue :|

I'll give it a go over weekend hopefully and will see what's happening. Just hope there will be no rain. There is a chance I knocked some cable when swapping battery. I did that at 7pm during rain out in the elements :)

All sorted it was just the bulb. I swapped them around and the other light is dimmer so I'm after new bulbs now.

I fitted new bulbs on 2012-02-20 so it looks like they only last 2 years. I'm planning to get the same again though: Philips X-treme Vision H4 as all-in-all they are great all rounders, unless any better alternatives are available?

I knew this is going to happen! Moment I swapped the bulb and fixed my headlights I knew something is not right as it was just way too easy.

My clutch finally gave up, today! I knew it was on it's way for quite some time. It's just you get used to it and you stop noticing it. Somehow today it was exceptionally bad, when pulling away and up the hill, was afraid I may get stuck and will not move again. Booked my car for clutch work and will hopefully get it sorted on Wednesday. Fingers crossed...

I suppose should not complain really, as the original clutch lasted for 19 years and 133k miles :)

That is a bit of a pain Lucas but indeed not bad milage really. Will no doubt catch up with you once the season stays rolling :)

Well - at least it's one of those jobs you'll probably never have to do again :)

I'm always up for a meetup Kip. Seems that Elsecar very soon :)

btw. new clutch in and also replaced gearbox oil. Can't believe how light the clutch pedal is. Should have done this months ago. Car feels great now.