Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

fan cut in switch

today i noticed that the wee sensor switch on top of the engine that obviously reads when the engine is hot and lets the fan cut on was broken.the terminal that connects to it had snapped off.tried everywhere for a new one and nowhere could get me one.except a VW dealership they quoted £15=vat does anyone know if theres anywhere else i could try.i ordered one from VW though.

hi, today i realised that my fan has stopped working for some odd reason?? where exactly is the sensor switch located did you replace yours? and did it do the trick?

thanks

The thermoswitch sensor that turns the fan on and off is bottom right inside on the radiator.(when looking from front). Its a quick easy swop - simply remove the 4 bolts that attach the fan housing to the radiator, disconect the wiring conector from the fan and the thermoswitch and remove the housing complete with fan. The you simply unscrew the thermoswitch - have a new one in your other hand and swop quickly, as coolant will escape.

Refitting is the reversal of removal - as they say

You'll need to top up the coolant, run it to fan cut in -let it cool and top it up again.

Karman, if its a 16v, I'm not sure what sensor your talking about, it aint the fan switch. Is your fan still working??

Ah,

Appologies Karmann. I stripped the head this weekend, and noticed a temp sender at top left front corner (looking at front), on the rocker cover. Accidentlly let the terminal contact the engine (earth) and the fan came on. Didn't know about this one. :oops: this might be the one your talking about.

If yuor still looking, go to a scrapyard. Should be on any 16V VW engine, and probably the 8V K-Jet ones too.

Yeah thats the one,just a wee sensor.got a new one for £15+vat from a stealer. worked fine after that,but recently the fan has been making a hell of a noise so i took it apart today and stripped the motor bit of grease and put it back on,worked fine.but think its conked out now,so prob be heading to a scrapy soon for a new fan motor.i was thinking about getting the head skimmed dont suppose uv got urs skimmed?just looking to get better throttle response,but without spending big bucks.already swiss cheesed the air box but not put a K&N in yet.what were u stripping the head for?prob best to pm back since going off the topic a bit.b