Portent

Looking for a heatproof rubber strap

I've got an annoying knock from the exhaust which has got a lot worse since I had my cat put back on (I guess the exhaust sits at a slightly different angle now maybe). I can see that the tip of the (Milltek) exhaust is very close to the rear bumper cut-out and this is what it is knocking on.

I want to move the exaust over a couple of centimetres but there doesn't seem to be any way to adjust this. The way that the hanger is welded onto the exhaust prevents it being moved over any further. So I tried zip tying the exhaust over very slightly. This does stop the knock but obviously they melt through as soon as the exhaust gets up to temperature.

So I'm looking for a heatproof rubber strap of some kind that I could use to tie it in place.

Any thoughts on where to buy something like that, or better suggestions would be appreciated.

On the positive side the car smells a whole lot better now the cat is back on, and theres less droning on the motorway :D Now if only I can stop the knock I'd be a happy chappie :)

Not a bad idea. Thanks I'll keep that one in mind. I'd probably prefer rubber so there is no chaffing anywhere. But it's a good plan B.

How close is close? I have always wondered if my Milltek tailpipe protudes a bit more than it should but as it doesn't knock or rattle I have left well alone.

Mine sits slightly to the right compared to yours. So it knocks on the right hand side of the bumper exit. I want to get it to sit in the middle like yours.

It's highly likely that when they fitted the cat the connecting pipe from the cat to exhaust has not been pushed in far enough which is causing the exhaust to be off at an angle. If it fitted fine with the decat before there's no reason it shouldn't fit correctly with what its a standard piece of kit? I would either get underneath and slacken off the fittings and see if you can persuade it to align or take it back to the garage who fitted it and ask them to do the job properly.

Yes I think I will probably have to take it back to them. Luckily they aren't too far away but it.net have to wait until I have a day off (will call them on Monday though).

Bloody Milltek exhausts, i have tried about 6/7 times to get mine to fit right, it doesn't, and don't think it ever will, like you it knocks on the cut out of the rear bumper and is slowly melting it away......

Yep, bumper. It sits to the right and if i nudge it with my foot it hits the bumper. the knock goes away if I zip tie it (until the zip tie melts).

Bloody Milltek exhausts, i have tried about 6/7 times to get mine to fit right, it doesn't, and don't think it ever will, like you it knocks on the cut out of the rear bumper and is slowly melting it away......

I must be damn lucky then as I fitted mine and so far no rattles or knocks :)

Metal zip ties or a decent sized jubilee would do the job. My Magnex is the same- I'm using heavy duty plastic zip ties at the mo, but will try a jubilee when I can be bothered! :lol: